Apologies Teef

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Amazing pictures.

Thanks for putting this back here, and thanks Aperitif for finding them originally.

Hey Adrian!
Don't apologise my friend - nothing untoward at all. I asked for it to 'go yonder' once the attention deviated from the imagery. A protected forum section (P&L) allows for people's feelings to be expressed fully and as offensively as the rules allow. If you looked through the steamy windows of our friendly café (always open to all - even wannabe cycling beauty queens canvassing votes from Belgium), you might see a pleasant ambiance with a good mix of folk sitting there drinking Talisker at breakfast time just passing the time of day...and consequently come in for frisson chips, tea and a chat. Later on they go downstairs to the conveniences, and P&L.
I'm a simple sort - as you know. :smile:

Yes, I looked at that Ed, and reflected on how 'we' just walk on by on a daily basis. I thought the letter from the café owner pulled the same strings..a life and business gone by - the history etc...
At the back of Old St, walking down towards the Barbican are banks of shops that aspired...all boarded up. I'll make sure I take a photo or two and open my eyes more.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Most of the empty buildings around here were knocked down ages ago for shopping malls and housing, etc. Real shame, some beautiful Victorian warehousing, churches, factories and houses. This is an old woollen mill just outside of Chipping Norton, when it was empty I snuck in and took a load of photos thinking it might disappear - it's ultimate fate wasn't demolition though, it got turned into posh flats!

3777664370_02bf9edf60.jpg

U

User169

Some of those in "Derelict london" will be victims of urban gentrification rather than urban decay. There's a photo of Francesca's Cafe on Broadway Market which was a healthy going concern until the owner was summarily chucked out by a new landlord (in the wake of Hackney Council's dubious sale of of tenancies around 2000) who wanted to convert the building into apartments for east london hipsters.

her_welshness

Those pictures made me feel sad, especially the public libraries :sad:

Aperitif: have you perused 'Derelict London' by Peter Talling? I have a copy if you want it?

There are great parts of Farringdon Market that have been shut down and they are stunningly beautiful!

Those pictures made me feel sad, especially the public libraries :sad:

Aperitif: have you perused 'Derelict London' by Peter Talling? I have a copy if you want it?

There are great parts of Farringdon Market that have been shut down and they are stunningly beautiful!

Not the book yet, but in post #4 above, 3BM reminds us of the weblink posted by Uncle Mort yesterday.
This is why I resist being photographed of course...a temple in ruins. :rofl:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I read the piece yesterday along with Wikipedia articles about two folk mentioned in the contentious posting that lead to the original thread being moved to P&L.

I am still taken aback by the magnitude of the desolation in Detroit. The fact that they are civic buildings and not industrial edifices makes things even sadder - abandoning a library complete with its stock. I could weep.

In my feckless youth some pals and I once managed to make an illegal entry into Kirkstall Power Station and it was a strange feeling walking into rooms that looked like they were still in use with rosters and notices still pinned on the display boards.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
If you have a search for urban exploring sites thereare some amazing pictures of Detroit, and of many British buildings. It's the scale of Detroit that is amazing.

There are some excellent pics (using HD format) of Hellingly County Hospital, a decaying Victorian asylum on this site, which I think someone put up here before. Creepy, and fascinating!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If you have a search for urban exploring sites thereare some amazing pictures of Detroit, and of many British buildings. It's the scale of Detroit that is amazing.

There are some excellent pics (using HD format) of Hellingly County Hospital, a decaying Victorian asylum on this site, which I think someone put up here before. Creepy, and fascinating!

The Hellingly 10k used to start from there when I was a runner and I nicked a couple of shrubs from their garden before it got too neglected.

Speicher

Vice Admiral

I can remember who it was who posted that. :whistle: I thought he said he bought it for about £100, but was not entirely sure if this was accurate. ;)