Apologies to the cyclist on Goldhawk Rd, London W6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slaav

Veteran
Goldhawk Road, London, W6, is now a nightmare! Was turning left into Brackenbury Road and there is a bus lane (used by cyclists) and was valid.

I wanted to turn left into Brackenbury Rd and had to time it to cross the bus lane. Two cyclists, one near and one a way behind. I had to decide to stop holding up traffic and wait for first cyclist to pass and then turn left - could see the driver behind wondering what the hell I was doing.

First cyclist (second one slowed and then sailed past) wafted past the junction and realised what I was doing. He waved a pleasant and unexpected (but hoped for) Thank You wave. In return, I slightly bipped the horn twice in quick succession to say thank you back and acknowledge his wave.

Not sure it came across as intended as he seemed to then spend the next 15-20 yds looking back to 'see what my problem was'.....

The double (incredibly light and jolly) tap on the horn could not have been construed as an 'angry' motorist! Or so I thought :sad:

He may have thought he knew me, I cannot be sure.....

If you are on here - it was a genuine and heartfelt appreciation for your wave of thanks!!!

IS good behaviour and common courtesy really that rare these days??????

Hopefully you are reading this and if so - keep it up! We will win through :smile: :smile: :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

I had to peep a cyclist yesterday heading into town, i was approaching some lights that were on green and he decided to jump off the kerb in front of me without looking to see if the coast was clear .I could only swerve out a few feet as the roads has 2 lanes at this point and traffic was in both lanes and most were playing the " how close to the other drivers bumper can i get game "
I did not like to peep the cyclist but the fool nearly got squished and if i had not have been aware of him and taking extra care just in case.

Bicycle

This kind of thing happens and it can be mildly unsettling for the road user who thinks they've done the right thing or done something courteous.

I've found that when cycling in towns I sometimes go into my old Courier mindset of 'them and me'. This makes every toot of a horn something aimed at me in a negative way. It's wrong, but many of us have thought that way. Your bemused cyclist may fall into that camp.

On the use of the horn, I'm not sure many cyclists would see that as a nod of thanks or an acknowledgement. To a cyclist, a cheerful toot of the horn may still sound slightly agressive or admonishing. Your notion of 'slightly bibbing the horn' may be up there with 'slightly pregnant' and 'slightly dead'.

It's great that you and other road users are thinking and planning and moderating your manouevres to allow cyclists to pass. It's great that the cyclist realised what you'd done and thanked you. Further dialogue and courteous acknowledgement was superfluous from that point. A lovely thought, but unnecessary.

OT: I generally don't like to use the horn on a car. It's heard by everyone, not just the person you're beeping at. We have many weekend guests out here in the sticks and I always scowl slightly when, having said their good-byes, they emerge from the drive and give a friendly beep as they drive off. They're not saying bye-bye to the whole f*cking street. Oh bugger.... How do I get down from this moral high horse?

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Goldhawk Road, London, W6, is now a nightmare! Was turning left into Brackenbury Road and there is a bus lane (used by cyclists) and was valid.

I wanted to turn left into Brackenbury Rd and had to time it to cross the bus lane. Two cyclists, one near and one a way behind. I had to decide to stop holding up traffic and wait for first cyclist to pass and then turn left - could see the driver behind wondering what the hell I was doing.

First cyclist (second one slowed and then sailed past) wafted past the junction and realised what I was doing. He waved a pleasant and unexpected (but hoped for) Thank You wave. In return, I slightly bipped the horn twice in quick succession to say thank you back and acknowledge his wave.

Not sure it came across as intended as he seemed to then spend the next 15-20 yds looking back to 'see what my problem was'.....

The double (incredibly light and jolly) tap on the horn could not have been construed as an 'angry' motorist! Or so I thought :sad:

If you are on here - it was a genuine and heartfelt appreciation for your wave of thanks!!!

Hopefully you are reading this and if so - keep it up! We will win through :smile: :smile: :smile:

The only vlaid use of a horn is to tell other road users you are there. The cyclsit knew that you were there, so there was no need to use the horn ( or the lights) . Life on the roads would be so much easier if people realised that they are not pedestrians aany more , that "social" rules don't apply and they don't have to go around acknowledging people the way they would if would if they were talking to them.

OP
OP
S

Slaav

Veteran
The only vlaid use of a horn is to tell other road users you are there. The cyclsit knew that you were there, so there was no need to use the horn ( or the lights) . Life on the roads would be so much easier if people realised that they are not pedestrians aany more , that "social" rules don't apply and they don't have to go around acknowledging people the way they would if would if they were talking to them.

Fair point.

In that particular example, I wish I hadnt tapped the horn - I knew what I meant but not him!

When I thank people out in the sticks for letting me past or giving way etc, it is normal to receive a wave of acknowledgement from the car driver - courtesy; yes, I know this could go on ad infinitum!

So easy to forget that I was in London when beeping the horn.

I do see the logic in the post above saying my horn was superfluous and I should have left it where we were - me giving way and him thanking me.

Thanks for the pointer as I will genuinely look at this differently in the future re cyclists.

On the suject of using the horn etc, Yes, I do know the HC and the 'advice' of and when to use it! I don't stick religiously to the HC but certainly use it as a template and guide! :smile:

ps - I am a bit sad and keep left on M'Ways (into small gaps temporarily, when overtaking myself) and thank people for doing so as and when..... Oh well, HC doesnt tell me to thank others and maybe I should stop? :smile: :smile: :smile: COURTESY eh?

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Fair point.

In that particular example, I wish I hadnt tapped the horn - I knew what I meant but not him!

When I thank people out in the sticks for letting me past or giving way etc, it is normal to receive a wave of acknowledgement from the car driver - courtesy; yes, I know this could go on ad infinitum!

So easy to forget that I was in London when beeping the horn.

I do see the logic in the post above saying my horn was superfluous and I should have left it where we were - me giving way and him thanking me.

Thanks for the pointer as I will genuinely look at this differently in the future re cyclists.

On the suject of using the horn etc, Yes, I do know the HC and the 'advice' of and when to use it! I don't stick religiously to the HC but certainly use it as a template and guide! :smile:

ps - I am a bit sad and keep left on M'Ways (into small gaps temporarily, when overtaking myself) and thank people for doing so as and when..... Oh well, HC doesnt tell me to thank others and maybe I should stop? :smile: :smile: :smile: COURTESY eh?

I just don't understand this idea of "thanking" people for giveing way and then calling it "courtesy", but then we have been down this lane before....

Dogberry

Well done Slaav. Keep up the good work and ignore some of the comments posted.

There are approx 61 million people on this tiny island and we all need to start being a little more friendly.

:thumbsup:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Nowt wrong with expressing thanks. With your face, your hand(s) or your thumb. Not with your horn or headlights though far too open to misinterpretation.

Bicycle

Fair point.

Top marks for posting the OP in the first place.

Top marks also for taking with good grace the slightly withering, Meldrew-esque advice from some other contributors.

^_^

Ace Demon

A horn is a horn and doesn't make a different sound according to the message your brain is trying to send. Besides, it's intended to be loud enough to penetrate into the interior of closed vehicles at a distance and even if the motive is understood it is physically unpleasant to be on the receiving end at close quarters in the open.

Paul_L

Über Member
fair play to you for your traffic awareness.

Proves that cyclists are also highly considerate drivers as well.

On the horn, i always take a horn sounded at me as a warning or act of aggression. Yours wasn't meant like this clearly but could well have been interpreted as such.

I think it's brilliant that cyclists and other road users interact on the road but this should be limited to a nod, a wave or a thumbs up.

OP
OP
S

Slaav

Veteran
Hate to say it but this is probably a 'lesson learned'!

And two long and 'aggressive' horn sounds are different to two barely audible 'bips'. Still open to misunderstanding though so take that on board :sad:

OP
OP
S

Slaav

Veteran
Without wishing to drag the 'horn' issue up again... on my ride today, I really hadnt noticed the sound of a car come up behind me and he gave me a friendly little 'beep'.

He passed safely when I acknowledged and then I had the fortune to watch him do the same to a pair of cyclists up ahead - sat behind them without racing up; then when they obviously hadnt heard him either, little 'beep' that I heard! WAs a small beep though.

They dropped into single file and waved at the driver!!!

So it isn't just me then..... Although his use of the horn was in accordance with the HC!

:smile: :smile: :smile:

and yes - no more 'horn' comments from me now - I imagine it really has been done to death!

Top Bottom