App to assist with bike maintenance - Hubtiger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MiketheMechanic

Hi guys

i've got a brand new bike (Santa Cruz Tallboy) and i'm keen to keep it in the best possible condition. I currently use an app called Hubtiger which is great and free. It didn't start off great but it's always being updated and improving quickly.

I'm just curious what the norm is, does still use excel spreadsheets or just "feel" when the bike is due for a service?

Mike, ditch the bloody app and drink a beer.

OP
OP
M

MiketheMechanic

I Lol'ed as beer always > than an app.

Yeah, i'm OCD and the app helps but if there is nothing else to look for, i'll drink my beer and review my app together:smile:

Check it out and tell me if i'm crazy or not

winjim

Smash the cistern
Just figure out which bits need checking regularly (brake pads, tyres), which bits less regularly (chain, sprockets, cables), and which bits just when they start making a funny noise or feeling too loose, or too tight etc (basically everything else).

Of course if you just like data, feel free to use an app or a spreadsheet and make some nice visualisations or whatever. People do.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have a spreadsheet to log the work done on my various bikes; that said other than waxing chains I don't carry out any work based on mileage / time, instead just check things occasionally and address anything when it needs doing :smile:

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
My approach with bikes (as with most other things e.g. home DIY) has just been to acquire the skills when I needed to.

I have known how to remove wheels/fix punctures since I was a kid when my brother showed me how.

Here's a few examples:

Example 1

About 10 years ago I was going to throw away my commuter bike because the freewheel teeth were worn so badly the chain was just slipping all the time. I remember visiting Halfords, where the mechanic advised me that there were about 17 different sprocket removal tools; while neglecting to mention that by far the most common, at the time, was the Shimano one. In my opinion he was just trying to put me off. I eventually found the correct tool online and successfully used it to remove the freewheel and fit a new one. This also started an interest in using cheater/breaker bars as it was a ****** to remove.

Example 2

I bought a new roadbike in Decathlon - BTwin Triban 3 - and discovered that the bike technology was new - bear in mind that the kind of bikes I ride are well behind the curve (trailing edge technology). It had a cassette and a freehub which was new to me. So the first time I cleaned the drive train, about 6 months later I bought a cassette removal tool. For the chain whip I used a car filter removal tool which was similar.

I now have a proper chain whip which came with a box of tools I got as a Christmas present.

Example 3

I had a series of broken spokes on a bike I used for commuting; Each time it happened, I replaced the spoke with a spoke key and just tightened it, until the tension was roughly similar to the other spokes and the wheel was roughly true. This led to an interest in wheel truing. I remember finding a video where somebody (I think it was C J Hoyle [see YouTube]) explained how to true a wheel using the brake blocks as a makeshift truing stand. My daughter then bought me a truing stand that Christmas (It was a nice surprise!).

Through all these little learning experiences I have gradually built up a nice little toolkit. A part here, another there. Improvised tools from Sheldon Brown; all sorts really. I keep them all in a metal tool box just for bike parts.

I find curiosity does the rest.

Top Bottom