Apple AirTag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Relies on Bluetooth* for it to work, and assume that everyone leaves it on on their iPhone.

There are other similar devices that will work on any Bluetooth enabled phone.

*Limited range.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Check out GP Lama’s video on YouTube for his lowdown on the Airtags for bike security.

I wouldn’t worry about the range of Bluetooth or dependency on an Apple device being in range of the tag for it to be traceable. Apple devices are ubiquitous!

dodgy

I have one. Does everything Apple claims very well. They’ve really thought through everything. People have put them in the postal system and tracked them over weeks or so. Like burninglegs said, iPhones are everywhere and every iPhone is co-opted into being part of the tracking network. I’m not using mine for bike security, though.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
I follow various fora on Macrumors and one thread is exclusively about air tags. It’s mainly US based and there’s been a fair bit of experimentation as well as the usual “ flame wars “
I posted in jest that they were just the right size for the people who have stretched holes in their earlobes, but apparently it’s already been done 😮

£29 seems a bargain for a device that can be used for additional security. Anyone tried them out?
I think the best option is to not lose the bike in the first place. If you do track a lost bike and it's in some dodgy area in a house - how will you recover it ? Will the police be bothered ?

They do look handy for items you might drop when out and about.

Top Bottom