Apple CarPlay - anyone use it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I'd like a car with SatNav capability to save faffing with phone/TomTom mounts. I can save money by buying a car that has Apple CarPlay rather than a SatNav.

My question: after initial pairing, can I select navigation, input my destination and start navigating using just the cars entertainment system without having to touch the phone? Or do you have to conduct this process on your phone which is then simply mirrored on the cars entertainment system?

Obviously the phone will be in the car with Bluetooth turned on.

Thanks.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
My understanding is yes it's just like having a iPhone screen in your car.
https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/carplay/

Gunk

Guru
I’ve got it in my Golf, I’ve never bothered using it, the VW Sat Nav although a bit clunky is quicker

irw

Quadricyclist
Use it all the time in my car- I use Waze for navigation, but Google Maps and Apple Maps are all available. Also great for listening to music from my phone.

I don't know if it differs between radio models, but I can have Waze (i.e. car play) active on my display, but have DAB or standard radio playing in the background as well.

Note that CarPlay doesn't work over Bluetooth though- the phone needs to be connected in via a USB cable- I've routed mine such that it pops out in the central storage compartment between the front seats. If you connect the phone in via bluetooth you wouldn't get the full satnav display, only the audio.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yes, it’s great, especially on the many hire cars I get, just plug phone in and you’re away. No messing with a multitude of different sat nav systems etc.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I use it in my MINI. Mine works over a wireless connection, no cable needed. Yes, you can use the car screen for interaction with a limited number of CarPlay-authorised apps (various maps, WhatsApp, Messages, various music apps).

Just remember that when you’re using your phone for navigation you are using your data to update the map (unless you have a map downloaded) and if so you’ll need a data connection.

OP
OP
sleuthey

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Use it all the time in my car- I use Waze for navigation, but Google Maps and Apple Maps are all available. Also great for listening to music from my phone.

I don't know if it differs between radio models, but I can have Waze (i.e. car play) active on my display, but have DAB or standard radio playing in the background as well.

Note that CarPlay doesn't work over Bluetooth though- the phone needs to be connected in via a USB cable- I've routed mine such that it pops out in the central storage compartment between the front seats. If you connect the phone in via bluetooth you wouldn't get the full satnav display, only the audio.
Thanks. But once the phone is plugged in, do input your destination etc using the cars screen or do you have to use the phone?

OP
OP
sleuthey

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Yes, it’s great, especially on the many hire cars I get, just plug phone in and you’re away. No messing with a multitude of different sat nav systems etc.
And is the user interface broadly the same from one car to the other?

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D's car has CarPlay and the android one both installed. Shes gutted, because shes an Apple fangirl and even she concedes the Android equivalent is so much better. Volvo know this and are dropping CarPlay entirely this year.

Me, not having a smartphone it all seems a bit pointless to me. On my own car satnav, music, phone etc are all built in anyway.

nickb

Guru
If it's a factory-fit CarPlay then I'd say go for it*. Every factory-fit sat-nav I've ever used has been crap compared with Google/Apple Maps or Waze.

All of those will work with CarPlay just like they do on your phone. Plus you won't get charged exorbitant prices for a map upgrade. Audi charge a small fortune for this and I guess other auto makers are the same.

*Aftermarket CarPlay overlays are rubbish, so I'd avoid it if it's one of those.

Top Bottom