Apple Watch help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
does anyone wear one when cycling? Mrs kev bought me a series1 sport for xmas (god knows why when there are actual sports watches) and I'm being guilt tripped into wearing it. Battery life is terrible at only 2 days compared to others I've read about (Fitbit apparently running for over a week)

For anyone who has one, are they weatherproof? I know they aren't submersible if you haven't got the hugely expensive series 2 but they claim to be water resistant. The series 1 also uses the gps off your phone as it's not inbuilt.

I'm also interested in what owners use them for other than emails and texts because your phone has to be in range for all of the features.

I hate to seem ungreatful but I'd have rather had a new WATCH watch

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
does anyone wear one when cycling? Mrs kev bought me a series1 sport for xmas (god knows why when there are actual sports watches) and I'm being guilt tripped into wearing it. Battery life is terrible at only 2 days compared to others I've read about (Fitbit apparently running for over a week)

For anyone who has one, are they weatherproof? I know they aren't submersible if you haven't got the hugely expensive series 2 but they claim to be water resistant. The series 1 also uses the gps off your phone as it's not inbuilt.

I'm also interested in what owners use them for other than emails and texts because your phone has to be in range for all of the features.

I think you need to talk to your wife and let her know.

Would you be upset if the roles were reversed.

Its a lovely gift and shows a great deal.of thought, let alone investment. But don't let your gratitude get in the way of honesty, you will only end up putting it in a drawer and upsetting your wife later...or upset yourself for longer.

Apple Watch is fine for most sports activities. I was out dog sledding in -30 and had no issues, I have also cycled, hill walked and used for every day activities without any issues whatsoever, and the updated model had nothing really that made an update worthwhile

What you need to change is the mindset that it is a fitness watch, it isn't and all the other functions eat battery life. Think of it as an extension of your mobile phone and all time functions

Personally I would not be without mine, it is worn during the day and then put on a night stand which charges it, whilst it functions as a bedside clock and alarm. I have never worn a watch to bed so this is normal for me

The apart from email or text will be up to you

I use mine for weather, fitness, phone calls, calculator, controlling music, news, keeping up to date with numerous phone apps, it takes tickets for buses (flash watch as opposed to pulling out ticket or phone) it has my boarding pass when I fly, (again much less faffing), finding local amenities such as pubs or restaurants, navigation, and numerous others

It is entirely up to you just how much you use it

However the basic point is whether or not you are comfortable with all of this

Tin Pot

Guru

I have the Watch 2.

I use it for skiing, cycling, running and swimming, as well as all the non-activity based features it has; spoken text messages, directions on my wrist instead of a satnav, etc.

Charging a Watch may seem odd to you, but you're comparing a calculator to a laptop when you compare a Fitbit to a Smartwatch.

When you charge you smart phone at night you also take off your Watch. End of world averted. :smile:

My wife has the series 1 and had no trouble with it, although she doesn't cycle.

Top Bottom