Appliance rent/buy advice needed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm soon to move into an unfurnished house from a part-furnished flat.

Net result - there's no washer/dryer or fridge/freezer in the new place, and I don't have one.

I'm not sure how long we'll be in the new place, lease is a year minimum but there's a chance we'll have to move again in a year's time; and still won't be able to afford to buy a place anywhere (sigh), and most rental places seem to come with appliances.

So, looking at the options, I can buy something; or I can rent for the year.

Anyone got any advice? Especially if you've used some of the rental companies before; I'm not sure if any companies are good or bad; and I'm also sure there's some fineprint knocking about which I can't find on their websites.

mark barker

Get onto your local freecycle site, you're bound to pick one up in a day or two. Use it for the year and reoffer it at the end of your tenancy.

battered

Guru
Talk nicely to your friends. I'm in a similar position, I gave away an old washer and the same people have my cooker on loan.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
mark barker said:
Get onto your local freecycle site, you're bound to pick one up in a day or two. Use it for the year and reoffer it at the end of your tenancy.

+1 - that kind of thing comes up all the time. That's what freecycle's for.

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
I'm on Freecycle anyway, except it's a very active freecycle and I'm not 'in need' so I don't think I'd get any (and would feel sheepish accepting one when I can afford to buy).

I did remember after posting this to look @ secondhand via Emmaus or similar; it looks like they have a shop nearby - I'd prefer to buy one from them and donate it back after the year to renting I think...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Don't be daft - "there's no washer/dryer or fridge/freezer in the new place, and I don't have one." In other words, you need them - how else do you understand 'in need'? Freecycle is about extending things' useful lives and keeping them out of landfill - so long as you use it and return it when you've finished, you're in keeping with the spirit of freecycle. I can afford to buy stuff - doesn't mean I feel sheepish when I get stuff for nothing. Why should I? I give stuff too. That's how it works.

levad

Veteran
[quote name='swee'pea99']Don't be daft - "there's no washer/dryer or fridge/freezer in the new place, and I don't have one." In other words, you need them - how else do you understand 'in need'? Freecycle is about extending things' useful lives and keeping them out of landfill - so long as you use it and return it when you've finished, you're in keeping with the spirit of freecycle. I can afford to buy stuff - doesn't mean I feel sheepish when I get stuff for nothing. Why should I? I give stuff too. That's how it works.[/QUOTE]

I think what is meant is that SavageHoutkop could afford to either purchase or rent an appliance or two and is meaning that there are people who may not have appliances and cannot afford to purchase or rent. i.e. there are more needy people than SavageHoutkop.

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
Yes, I joined primarily to keep stuff out of landfill too; and I tend to offer rather bizarre things which I have no need for but don't want to throw out (which are often snapped up much to my surprise!).

There does seem to be a lot of 'in desperate need' type posing on the one where I'm moving to, however - here it's the kind of 'can't afford to buy one' need rather than the 'looking for a used one before buying a new one' ned.... I'm currently on three Freecycle / Freegle etc sites (!) - two where I live at the moment as I'm on the border; and the one where I'm moving to. The two where I am at the moment are much more 'moderated' so the posts are tidier and everyone's messages get cleaned up before passing on - and the use of 'desperate' or 'need' isn't allowed - where the third seems to run largely unmoderated.

I do take your point though; but it still doesn't sit quite right with me!
Suppose I can only post a 'wanted' and see if anyone bites...

Generally renting is a bad idea as appliances have become so cheap and reliable nowdays.

If your need may not be ongoing then perhaps avid buying new. Second hand stuff on ebay seems good from my experience. I would buy from genuine householders not from the do it up boys.
If you get the appliances second hand then you will probalby get near what you paid for them in a years time so will cost next to nothing.

Freecycle - is is people just getting rid of trouble? Stuff is so expensive to repair now tht you may be picking up a problem. I would aim for newish appliances (2 years old or thereabouts) with some life left in them. Fridges are fairly safe bet when quite old but washer/dryers tend to pack up fairly early.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Savage, don't get wound up about whether your need is greater than someone else's. That's for the donor of an item to decide.

Besides, for bulky things like fridges and washing machines, geography is probably as important a deciding factor as need - neither you nor they want to be carting heavy stuff any further than necessary.

Post a wanted on Freecycle/Freegle and see what happens, and explain briefly why you need what you do. I'll bet you get what you need.

Failing that, I've actually had good experiences from the "do it up" boys (with walk-in workshops, not Ebay). There have been some really good ones here. They only take in what they know they can fix, and what they know to be reliable anyway. We've had a fridge-freezer now for fourteen years, and it was ten years old when we bought it. Similar story with a washing machine.

(And now I've written that I'll get home to find one's conked out...)

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Clasified ads in the local paper are also good if freecycle doesn't come up with anything. We bought a freezer last year and it looked as good as new to me, cost next to nothing. Most folks are just happy for you to take away white goods as it saves them a trip to the tip.

Top Bottom