appollo ripple repairing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeruss

My wife has decided to get fit and has got herself a second-hand bike. It's in need of repair. The main thing is a loud knocking when pedalling on the move( doesn't make a noise on the turbo) it sounds like something's catching but I think it may be the bearings in the bottom crank. My crank removal tool doesn't fit is there any way of removing it. Or is the bike not worth repairing

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What sort of crank removal tool are you using? Can you post pictures?

shadow master

My wife has decided to get fit and has got herself a second-hand bike. It's in need of repair. The main thing is a loud knocking when pedalling on the move( doesn't make a noise on the turbo) it sounds like something's catching but I think it may be the bearings in the bottom crank. My crank removal tool doesn't fit is there any way of removing it. Or is the bike not worth repairing
The model you have has a very standard steel chain set square taper axle and loose ball bb,takes a standard crank extractor,so should be easy,unless someone's mashed the threads,just as easy to get it to your local ibd they should supply and fit a modern cartridge Max £20.

OP
OP
mikeruss

mikeruss

The crank removal tool is a standard one out of the aldi tool kit. Thread bolt then tighten up with spanner until crank comes free

ANT 666

Trying to re member
Screw the removal tool in turn with a spanner until its tight then give it whack with a hammer to shock it, then keep turning with spanner or by hand and hey presto it should come off! you dont need to beat it to death just a good sharp shock.

OP
OP
mikeruss

mikeruss

Ant the problem is the bottom bracket tool threaded bolt is too big to thread into the bracket. So I am assuming the bike is old and needs a different size removal tool. Hopefully it's as easy as that

Top Bottom