Aqua Blue Sport

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by brommers, 27 Aug 2018.

1. brommers

brommers Years beyond my wisdom

2. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

I liked their approach and they certainly made a name for themselves in the Vuelta, they must have really pissed some people off though.

3. I don't think it was ever going to work out, a very non-sustainable model. Not sure how they convinced the UCI to grant them a pro continental licence. A shoogly peg from day one imo

Bollo likes this.
  4. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

I agree...
    ...whatever the fark that means!:laugh:

deptfordmarmoset and smutchin like this.
  5. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

6. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Race invites is one aspect, but they were being funded via sales on a pretty shoddy website.

Little was available and, what was available, was very pricey.

imo it was a failed business model from the start, which is sad for Ireland's only (now ex-)pro conti team.

Bollo likes this.
  7. andrew_s

andrew_s Guru

Their ToB invite has been given to Team Wiggins, so at least we get to see how Tom Pidcock gets on in a big race.

brommers, DCLane and mjr like this.
  8. Bollo

Bollo Failed Tech Bro

Exactly this. Margins are tight enough for any online retail business even before you try and run a pro sports team from the profits. It must have been a good lunch for the UCI, banks and the other sponsors to sell it as a concept.

Pro Tour Punditry likes this.
  9. mjr

I liked the idea but I never found anything I wanted to buy in their shop. I suspect there is some way to make a team self-sustaining but I don't think Aqua Blue Sport was it.

10. Adam Blythe is in no doubt about what went wrong. Nothing to do with the business model. It was all the fault of the bikes.

View: https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/1036569611167301632

To save you having to watch, or if you're unable to watch: "Can you pinpoint anything that's led to this?" AB: "Probably 3T bikes. They make good handlebars but terrible bikes ... it's just like a track bike with gears on it ... there's only one chainring ..."

How to win friends and influence people.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2018
    mjr likes this.
  11. mjr

https://thecyclingpodcast.com/podcast/vuelta-a-espana-2018-stage-7-puerto-lumbreras-pozo-alcon has an interview with the team owner. He sort of blames the bikes a bit, accusing 3t of never attending a race and talking to riders, but mainly the "rotten" situation of race organisers and wildcards being so business-critical and, from the sounds of it, dishonest/misleading.

It does sound like either the continental tours need some reform to make Pro Continental teams viable without wildcard appearances on the World Tour, or some sort of restriction on PC team numbers (bidding? ballots of Conti teams wanting to move up?) and a minimum participation guarantee at grand tours and monuments (maybe an auction of wildcards, grand tours first? RCS won't like not being first!)

Dogtrousers likes this.
  12. mjr

I suspect the race organisers are going to dig in and refuse to change anything quickly under Lappartient, especially since the owner of the collapsed Aqua Blue Sport team has called the current wildcard-patronage system corrupt or rotten or similar. I think they'll want to show it can work or at least survive for a couple more years as if that would disprove it.

13. dragon72

dragon72 Veteran

Surprised nobody has been talking in here about Conor Dunne and Larry Warbasse's so-called #NoGoTour in which they set off with light touring loads and did the big cols of the southern French and Italian Alps for a week and did a lot of buddy-bonding and blogged all over social media about it.
    It was quite entertaining. A good way to get over losing one's job.

14. mjr

It wasn't all over social media. They didn't post travelogues on here!

Where was it?

15. dragon72

dragon72 Veteran

Twitter and Instagram. Search #NoGoTour or Conor Dunne and Larry Warbasse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice