Aquariums

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Anyone into fish keeping as a hobby?

About 10 years ago, I had a 4 x 2 x 2 tank and must have stocked and restocked it loads of times because I could never just settle with what was in there. The n+1 thing definitely applies to fish tanks because I found myself constantly wanting a bigger tank, or more fish.

I had to sell the tank when my relationship at the time ended and that was it really ... until recently I got a wee tank for my son and then my brother got a tank and now I find myself on gumtree and eBay looking at 450 litre aquariums and wanting more!!!!!

Anyone else gripped by this madness?

stephec

Legendary Member
Yep, the last of my angels has gone down the big white pan to the giant aquarium in the sky, and now I 'me looking at Discus.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Many moons ago, when I lived on the Isle of Thanet. I kep a local marine tank, 5' x 18" x 18"
I used to collect specimens from the local rock pools and beaches.
Lugging 5 gallon containers of sea water to fill it was a bit of a burger though!
I don't think I have any photos of it, but it was very attractive with anemones, fan worms, crabs, shrimps, prawns and local free swimming fish in it.

My Father keeps a marine tropical tank. The amount of effort involved and keeping the water in good nick is huge. The filtration and heating/cooling system resides in a tank that must be half the size of the one the fish live in.

Keith Oates

Janner
I once took over an apartment which had an aquarium and the owner said would I look after it for him, I foolishly said yes and didn't like all of the work needed to keep it and the fish in good working order. I was very happy when the last fish died and I could drain the aquarium and clean it out for the very last time.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I had a 6ft tank in my living room a while ago and kept all kinds of tropicals.
After a while i went over to marine fish with all the living corals very nice to look at but not easy to maintain.
Take a look here my friend use to breed them well worth considering. :okay:

http://cichlidadvice.com/

buggi

Bird Saviour
I've got two blackmoors. Cold water fish and they've grown from an inch to 5 inches in 6 months so I've just had to upgrade my tank . Woke up to the sound of dripping water the other night . The filter had got blocked and caused the water to flow out the wrong way. .. Onto my floor!
I keep Axolotl which are strange creatures..but id say one tank is enough
I love those things. So bloody cute

stephec

Legendary Member
I've got two blackmoors. Cold water fish and they've grown from an inch to 5 inches in 6 months so I've just had to upgrade my tank . Woke up to the sound of dripping water the other night . The filter had got blocked and caused the water to flow out the wrong way. .. Onto my floor!

I love those things. So bloody cute
Have they stayed black?

I had one who's belly turned orange, this gradually crept up it's body until it just looked like a normal fantail, apparently it's quite a common event.

U

User19783

Yep it's bad news,
I suffer from n+1
At the moment I've got 4 marine tropical tanks 45ltrs 60ltrs, 90ltrs and a tall 120ltrs ,
Picking up another tank in two weeks time,
My oh isn't happy, but I can't stop,
^_^

outlash

also available in orange
I've been keeping them on & off pretty much all my life. My parents owned and ran an aquarium shop during the 80's/90's, I worked in a wholesaler/importer for a short time after finishing school and currently I've got a small tropical tank and a reef tank.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Have they stayed black?

I had one who's belly turned orange, this gradually crept up it's body until it just looked like a normal fantail, apparently it's quite a common event.
I heard that was something to do with the water being too warm which made me a bit worried coz even in the coolest room in the flat the temp is 73 degrees. However, they are as black as the day I had them so it must be luck of the drawer. I had one years ago that was so beautiful, not even a gold shimmer to him, massive fins and tail, massive eyes and so black he looked like the texture of velvet. He looked so proud in my tank, swam around like "hey... look at me!". Came home one day and he looked depressed, he was in the corner and just looked like he couldn't be bothered with life, fins all limp. My local fish place was none the wiser. When I said he was depressed they looked at me like I was loopy but I knew something wasn't right. Two days later I couldn't find him, he was hiding in a hidey hole and when I got him out all his fins were broken !!! :'( Turned out he had fin rot. Gutted. Not the way a beautiful fish should go :sad:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I keep Axolotl which are strange creatures..but id say one tank is enough
I keep Axies too.
I used to have a lovely 4' fresh water tropical but sold it on and rehomed the fish as our living room is just the wrong shape for a fish tank. The only sensible place is an alcove by the window so we were fighting green alge daily, even with a curtain shut.
Not ruling out a tropical tank in the future. We still have our small (2'6") tank, with filters, pump etc just in case.

davdandy

I used to keep fish and have done for many many years.My tank now resides in the garage gavering dust but may one day set ip up again.

I first started with the staple fish,guppies,neons,platy`s and mollies then got into the Corydorus catfishes,still love them now.I then moved onto the cichlids which have always been my favourites.I had jack dempsy`s and oscars as well as many others.My last collection,about three years ago where mbunas,a stunningly beautiful species which i highly recommend,and the best thing about these fish is that you can overstock them,so long as the filtration is good enough that is.

The reason i stopped was one day i came home to feed the fish and the water was completely grey and all the fish where dead.I asked my two girls who where about 8 and 10 yrs did they do anything,and looking sheepish they said no.of course one of them had put all my fish food into the tank and polluted the water.My heart sank and drained the tank down.

But fish are wonderful and calming,and although they need a bit of time to care for them the rewards are worth it.

Top Bottom