Araldite for bottom bracket - which one to use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've read in the past that Araldite can be used to stop a BB coming loose (nothing wrong with the threads - for some reason, the unit just keeps coming unscrewed on the drive side over time) but I can't remember which Araldite product it was, and I know it comes in different specs. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Also, assuming such a product is used, how do I remove the BB again when the time comes to renew it?

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Don't you mean loctite?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Italian BB thread by any chance ?

Definitely Loctite not Araldite. Don't recall which one is recommended. Try with a single very small dot of regular superglue? It's not great adhesive on metal/metal joints, but might be enough to stop it unwinding?

longers

Legendary Member
The Park Tools website recommend Loctite 242 as a thread locker in their section on BB's.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Doh! You are all correct - I was confusing Araldite and Loctite. As I have no idea what Araldite does, it's a good thing I asked! :wacko:

Thank goodness the confusion has ended. Now for that mug of cheese on toast and plate of coffee! :biggrin:

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
beanzontoast said:
Doh! You are all correct - I was confusing Araldite and Loctite. As I have no idea what Araldite does, it's a good thing I asked! :wacko:

Thank goodness the confusion has ended. Now for that mug of cheese on toast and plate of coffee! :biggrin:

Araldite was my Dad's answer to DIY, it would stick anything to anything! I can still see my Gran with her specs repaired with araldite :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
Speck said:
Araldite was my Dad's answer to DIY, it would stick anything to anything! I can still see my Gran with her specs repaired with araldite :laugh:

Mine too, he'd mix it up on a torn off bit of cardboard with a matchstick, he never did my grans glasses but most other things.

raindog

er.....
Speck said:
Araldite was my Dad's answer to DIY, it would stick anything to anything! I can still see my Gran with her specs repaired with araldite :sad:
:smile:
Araldite is the best glue ever invented. I reckon you can mend almost anything with it. The aluminium water pump casting broke on an old Peugeot 504 I had and I reconstructed it with Araldite - it was still working perfectly when I scrapped the car two years later.

gbb

Legendary Member
Depends where you're buying and what they're stocking, but..
Loctite 222, low strength threadlock that will allow easy removal of components
Loctite 243, Medium strength, obviously stronger than the above
There are high strength versions, i'd probably avoid those. They set like iron :sad:

The truth is, i use all makes and types at work and unless the application is critical...any one will do the job, but avoid the high strengths if you ever intend getting the bits off easily again.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
gbb said:
Depends where you're buying and what they're stocking, but..
Loctite 222, low strength threadlock that will allow easy removal of components
Loctite 243, Medium strength, obviously stronger than the above
There are high strength versions, i'd probably avoid those. They set like iron :smile:

The truth is, i use all makes and types at work and unless the application is critical...any one will do the job, but avoid the high strengths if you ever intend getting the bits off easily again.

This confirms exactly what the guy at Loctite support said yesterday afternoon when I rang him to find my local stockists. Many thanks, gbb.

Top Bottom