Araldite for bottom bracket - which one to use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
beanzontoast
Update...

Loctite 243 acquired. I did a test-run overnight, installing the BB with it yesterday afternoon then removing it today 24 hours later. (May as well find out now how easy/hard it's going to be to remove it for changing the BB in the future, I thought.)

It was nicely resistant to coming out all the time I was unscrewing it this afternoon - took a lot of pressure to get it moving initially, then unscrewed about 1/4 - 1/8 turn at a time, taking it steadily. The Loctite emerged as a white-blue powder as the BB unscrewed. One removed, the BB unit and shell threads both cleaned up easily, but I did find it useful to wind the BB unit in and out a couple of times to ensure it would go back fully and cleanly ready for when the Loctite was next applied.

Subsequently, applied the Loctite again and assembled the BB into the shell. Not road tested yet - going to let it 'go off' for a day or two - but I'm hopeful this will be the solution (pun intended) to the problem.

Big John

Guru
Your LBS should have some if you're lucky. Be very surprised if Halfords had any or even heard of it. As for araldite........I tend to use No Nails these days for fixing things - including my old Sidi shoes! Thinking about it.....there's more No Nails than shoe these days and they still feel great.

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Big John said:
Your LBS should have some if you're lucky. Be very surprised if Halfords had any or even heard of it. As for araldite........I tend to use No Nails these days for fixing things - including my old Sidi shoes! Thinking about it.....there's more No Nails than shoe these days and they still feel great.

How much does a pair of "No Nails" cost in a size 8? ;)

Top Bottom