Araucaria - my e'er puzzle knot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
I do enjoy this gentleman's crosswords. But, it seems, he hasn't long for this mortal coil.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crosswords/2013/jan/11/crossword-araucaria-reveals-dying-cancer

He will be sorely missed. A quality compiler, in my opinion. Though I don't often speak English daily anymore; and my vocabulary has shrunken; I find a certain fluid logic, often missing from his contemporaries, that makes his puzzles entertaining and (if I dare) a pleasure to complete.

I fear there's not many of his kind left.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The man accounted for many missing lecture notes as I sat at the back of lecture theatres and wrestled with his clues instead of attending to the primary purpose of me being there.

I never completed one of his puzzles unlike the easier Lavengro and Janus ones.

Maz

Guru
Not good news. He doesn't seem to be '2 Down' about it, considering.
I only ever completed one of his prize crosswords - sent it off, but didn't win.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not good news. He doesn't seem to be 2 Down about, considering.
I only ever completed one of his prize crosswords - sent it off, but didn't win.
Well, he is in his 90s so he has had a good run! I'd be happy to live to his age and still have my wits about me, which he clearly does.

I have a couple of bright friends who can often finish his crosswords between them, but rarely individually.

OP
OP
Stephenite

Stephenite

Membå
I know i said "a pleasure to complete" but I haven't managed to do quite that for a few years. It's very enjoyable to tackle a crossword with a friend, i think.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
A genius.

Top Bottom