Arch - don't look!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
I was going to say that it's ok as she'll be watching baby elephants on BBC1 at 9, but that's at 10!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Frankly a very odd programme that "could you eat an elephant" was... the presenters look like they can barely function in everyday society, and chickened out of eating half the stuff they said they would! Very strange indeed. I'm off to peel a badger.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Will1985 said:
I was going to say that it's ok as she'll be watching baby elephants on BBC1 at 9, but that's at 10!

I was indeed watching the baby elephants, I saw a trailer for the C4 thing, but didn't register when it was on. I'd eat elephant if there was really nothing else, but I'd prefer to eat something with a faster reproductive tunraround. No reason why elephant wouldn't be nice meat, that I can see. More normal from a western point of view than eating carnivore meat.

I like to think I'd eat anything in terms of cultural taboo (eg horse), and I hope I'd at least try some of the 'odder' stuff, like insects. I think it would depend how recognisable it was. And I don't tend to like overly squishy or rubbery stuff.

Saw the thing about Swarms a couple of weeks ago, there was a village next to Lake Victoria where they gather the huge swarms of midges that come out of the lake every month, and form them into patties like burgers, a very good free source of protein - I think I could cope with that, as they'd be all smushed together.

But anyway, the baby elephants were lovely. I did nearly cry at the two older calves waiting by their mother's body trying to wake her up though.

I watched 'the secret life of elephants' last night as well as 'could you eat an elephant'. It was an elephanty evening.

The only thing in the programme I got squeemish about eating was dog. I could have handled the elephant and the monkey, but not the dog. I would have struggled with the insects too but probably would have tried it. I was more fascinated with one of the chef-presenters 'Fergus'. he was really quite odd. In fact the pair of them were...

And yes it was really sad when the elephants lost their mum...

Arch said:
I like to think I'd eat anything in terms of cultural taboo (eg horse), and I hope I'd at least try some of the 'odder' stuff, like insects. I think it would depend how recognisable it was. And I don't tend to like overly squishy or rubbery stuff.

The "Estate Agents Gazette" has a new cookery page with advice on eating earthworms etc. :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
The problem throughout most of Africa is that the wild anmals are getting eaten. Nigeria has a couple of game parks (Yankari...) but no game because it's all been scoffed. I once went to the zoo in Enugu, a town that featured heavily in the Biafra war. It was actually like a beautiful old neglected garden with rotting cages and sheds amongst the undergrowth, very peaceful. There was a crocodile in a pit and not much else; they asked me if I'd like to see the python and I was led with much ceremony to a grass hut where a large woman sat guarding a plastic laundry basket. She removed the cover and curled up inside was a tiny little snake about 1 foot long. I pretended to be impressed and gave her a few Naira then went back to my job of corrupting African officials.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Uncle Mort said:
But they were terbly posh...are they royal?
Well, Fergus was genetically compromised, so very possibly :welcome:

wafflycat

Kirstie said:
I watched 'the secret life of elephants' last night as well as 'could you eat an elephant'. It was an elephanty evening.

The only thing in the programme I got squeemish about eating was dog. I could have handled the elephant and the monkey, but not the dog. I would have struggled with the insects too but probably would have tried it. I was more fascinated with one of the chef-presenters 'Fergus'. he was really quite odd. In fact the pair of them were...

And yes it was really sad when the elephants lost their mum...

One of the presenters has Parkinsons disease, which explains his jerky movements.

Top Bottom