Arch! Things to do in York?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We'll be visiting York in two weeks' time for a daytrip along with some overseas visitors. We plan on doing the tourist trail/markets etc; and probably the Minster; is there anything else worth seeing or missing?

Thanks!

Oxo

Guru
Give the Jorvik museum a miss. Simply not worth the bother or the cost of the ticket.

Slim

Über Member
How old are the visitors?

I went in the summer with my wife and two boys (9 and 11 yrs).

The minster really should not be missed. It's beautiful spiritually and architecturally (a real feat of engineering).

We all thought the National Railway museum was pretty good.

If you need a break then Betty's tea rooms were very nice - not exactly cheap but the tea, cakes and service were excellent.

As Bicyclist has already mentioned - don't bother with the Jorvik museum.

We are hoping to pass through again next summer. If we do manage to go back then the Yorkshire museum would be on our list of things to see.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The railway museum is great - and free. But you could easily spend all day there, and still come back for more.

Have a walk around the city walls. You can see a lot from up there, and if nothing else, it's a great way to get the feel of the city, its size and where things are in relation to each other. And it's also free.

If you just want to amble around seeing the sights, find the glass shop in the Shambles, and pick up their "Cat trail" leaflet. It guides you around the centre of the city seeing the cat statues - quirky and intriguing and often quite witty. And... it's free.

They do say a Yorkshireman is the same as a Scotsman with all the generosity wrung out of him. I'm not a Yorkshireman, but I've lived here 15 years now. Perhaps it's rubbing off on me?

Arch will be along in minute I'm sure...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I second the National Railway Museum.

The York City Museum is also good.

A visit to the Kings Arms by the Ouse ought to be done if only to see the various flood levels of the Ouse marked on the pub's walls. The beer is allegedly kep upstairs to keep it out of harms way during floods.

I liked Yorvik and thought that it was value for money.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, everyone's beaten me to it!

I'd pretty much agree with it all - Jorvik is, I think, over-priced, and for someone with a strong interest in the subject, information-lite. But there's always a queue outside... I think once you've done it, you don't need to do it again, and you won't miss a huge amount if you skip it.

For iconic picturebook views of York, walk up the Shambles (medieval jettied houses that almost meet overhead. While you're there, marvel that in the 60's when they built the hideous concrete building on Stonebow, they had a plan to demolish the Shambles and build on that too), and then up Petergate towards the Minster - the Minster looms behind the shops wonderfully. If you can arrange snow for that, it's even more picturesque. The Walls also afford some fantastic views of the Minster and city. Clifford's Tower also gives good views from the top (it costs to go in, can't remember how much, it's English Heritage). The tower of the Minster can be climbed, if you don't mind 200 odd spiral steps... I think for a day trip, just going in to ogle at the Nave will be enough. Look up at the bosses in the South Transcept designed by Blue Peter viewers after the big fire.

Talking of which, if this sort of thing amuses you... Down the Nave, between the tower and the West end, there are bosses in the middle of the ceiling where the spans meet. They depict biblical scenes. About half way down, if my memory serves me correctly, there is one depicting the accension of Christ, depicted by a carver in the way he reckoned he'd see it - just the soles of Christ's feet as he rises up above!

I too could spend a day in the Railway Museum, and indeed have, many times - but the great thing is that it's free, so even if you only nip in to look at Mallard, you've had your money's worth. How are you arriving? If by train, the Railway Museum backs onto the station. If by car, use a Park and Ride to get into town - much better than driving in and trying to park.

There are tonnes of cafes, restaurants and coffeeshops. If you want to do Betty's but the queue is long and outdoors, nip up Stonegate to Little Bettys - a more Olde Teashoppe atmosphere, over a tea and cake shop, and while there's often still a queue, it's indoors!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Agree that Jorvik's a waste of time and money. The basic concept's OK but it just felt like we were being shoved through. With my two boys they were through in 30 minutes (for £30 !!).

Railway Museum is worth going to and they liked going to York Museum (Jorvik but free/cheaper) near there.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Agree that Jorvik's a waste of time and money. The basic concept's OK but it just felt like we were being shoved through. With my two boys they were through in 30 minutes (for £30 !!).

Railway Museum is worth going to and they liked going to York Museum (Jorvik but free/cheaper) near there.

There are, confusingly, two 'York Museums' BTW. The Castle Museum, which is near Jorvik, and right next to Cliffords Tower, has a recreated Victorian street scene, and by-gone York life. The Yorkshire Museum, in the Museum Gardens, near the Minster, is the archeaology/geology/natural history museum.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
check in to the Dean Court Hotel for 48 hours and make depraved, ridiculous love to a woman who really should have know better.

Oh. Sorry. Wrong forum.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If you're lucky enough to have a nice sunny day, I recommend not trying to do too much. On a sunny day with a blue sky, I love to just look at the Minster - the South Transept and the West End especially. The colour of the stone against a blue sky is gorgeous. On a Tuesday, my work takes me right past it, and on a sunny Tuesday, I feel that life isn't so bad really, as I gaze upwards.

Just before Christmas, the streets will be busy, but try to find time to just stroll a bit and take in the old streets. If you feel brave, explore down a snickleway, and see where it brings you out!

ooh ooh! I forgot, talking of snickleways. Barley Hall. Between Stonegate and Grape Lane (which used to have a MUCH ruder name) there runs a lane called Coffee Yard. Go along it (mind your head if your tall and coming from Grape Lane), and find a half timbered building hidden away. You can pay to go in and see the fully restored Medieval interior, with audio tour, but if the curtains are open you can stand and gawp at the main hall through a big plate glass window onto Coffee Yard. It was virtually hidden and forgotten about for decades, and only rediscovered when they pulled down a garage in front of it.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I must pop into the museums at York one day, I have only been to the NRM there. I think Arch and I have met there more times to look at trains then to cycle.

If you are looking at the minster sometimes the stone masons are working in an open shelter carving new stones for the renovation work. Very interesting to watch.

Top Bottom