Are air Fryers any Good ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello everyone ,
My deep fat fryer has died and I was thinking of investing in an air fryer as they seem to be 3 times the price of a deep fat jobbie I wondered are they any good ?

Cheers

Decent but slow. May as well just stick stuff in the oven.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I love mine, yes you could stick in in the oven but stuff like chips are far greasier in the oven, I even worked out how to do decent roasties. I do think they are over priced though.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Just got one actually. I hate oven chips and have only deep fried chips twice in the last year. We got the Tefal one and are very happy with it. Used it twice so far and the chips come out light, fluffy and crisp with no sign of dripping fat.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have one in the back of the cupboard alongside the muffin maker and popcorn machine. It got used 3 or 4 times and then 'put away'. Next time we get a new kitchen it will get thrown out.

DRHysted

Guru
Never liked the taste of anything cooked in one. I think it's still sitting in the back of a cupboard in the kitchen. My personal opinion is that it was overpriced rubbish, but as I've seen from other people's posts different people different taste buds.

gbb

Legendary Member
Brilliant if calorie counting is important, but...
Chips are OK...just ok, par boil them, spray on one cal oil, cook in about 10 to 15 minutes. The shells of the chips tend to be a bit hard. Healthy but not as nice as normal chips ime.
Perhaps we're doing it wrong, any tips ?

Brilliant for breadcrumb Ed fish, hash browns etcetera.

Too expensive IMO, but my wife is uber careful about eating fatty stuff.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Thanks for all your repplies much appreciated, I think at this point I'm going to experiment with making my own oven chips/potato wedges ! We need to cut down on the chips any way !

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Brilliant if calorie counting is important, but...
Chips are OK...just ok, par boil them, spray on one cal oil, cook in about 10 to 15 minutes. The shells of the chips tend to be a bit hard. Healthy but not as nice as normal chips ime.
Perhaps we're doing it wrong, any tips ?
Well I think they taste nice but I do them differently, I cut up the potatoes into chips, rinse and roughly dry them before throwing them in the fryer. Using the spoon filled to the level with olive oil I just pour it on top of the the chips. I cook them for about 40 mins or until they are how I like. I end up with a fair bit of chip crumbs but I like that with salt and vineger ^_^

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Well I think they taste nice but I do them differently, I cut up the potatoes into chips, rinse and roughly dry them before throwing them in the fryer. Using the spoon filled to the level with olive oil I just pour it on top of the the chips. I cook them for about 40 mins or until they are how I like. I end up with a fair bit of chip crumbs but I like that with salt and vineger ^_^

Exactly the way I make them

Just got one actually. I hate oven chips and have only deep fried chips twice in the last year. We got the Tefal one and are very happy with it. Used it twice so far and the chips come out light, fluffy and crisp with no sign of dripping fat.

They do come out well.

But patience isn't one of my traits :biggrin:

A bit off topic but notice how chip pan fires are hardly mentioned these days. We used to have around one a week around these parts but i haven't heard of one in oh, it must be a few years now.
Still pretty common according to Google

Screenshot_2016-11-29-11-11-35.png

Philhh

Got a Phillips one great for Chips scampi and that kind of thing fairly good on fat reduction -one spoonful of oil on chips for two -use it regularly-helps a calorie controlled diet

Top Bottom