are all sold secure locks very similar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrsbaggins

when my bike comes I shall need to get a silver lock to comply with insurance but there seems to be a large price difference depending on where you shop and I wondered what the difference is. At the specialized shop where I ordered bike I think a silver type d lock was about £60 but i noticed that halfords also sell silver locks and they are much cheaper albeit a different brand. If they are to a certain standard-ie silver- then can I get any or are some better than others or it it just personal choice?

P.H

Über Member
 Security wise they've all passed the same test, but would have failed the test that would have given them a Gold rating.   The cheaper ones are often a good bit heavier and sometimes lack some of the the features like good fittings and neater keys.  It only gets complicated when you look at Sold Secure Gold, they've all passed the same test but there's no way of knowing by how much.  I use two SS Gold locks, one a Magnum is over twice the weight of a Squire which was three times the price, no prizes for guessing which I carry and which I leave at work!  I doubt there would be much difference in security, though when you read up about the SS testing it's not that secure against a determined thief anyway, that's why like you I have insurance.

OP
OP
mrsbaggins

mrsbaggins

Security wise they've all passed the same test, but would have failed the test that would have given them a Gold rating. The cheaper ones are often a good bit heavier and sometimes lack some of the the features like good fittings and neater keys. It only gets complicated when you look at Sold Secure Gold, they've all passed the same test but there's no way of knowing by how much. I use two SS Gold locks, one a Magnum is over twice the weight of a Squire which was three times the price, no prizes for guessing which I carry and which I leave at work! I doubt there would be much difference in security, though when you read up about the SS testing it's not that secure against a determined thief anyway, that's why like you I have insurance.

thanks for that. yes its insisted on by the insurance but if someone is determined it will go! someone told me he had the dogs doodah of a lock so they took the bike and the railing it was attached to! ha ha .
I am still looking but what you said maked sense although I have found one lock which says its sold secure silver but doesnt appear on their list so I will investigate further.

potsy

Rambler
If it's being locked up for long periods then go for the best lock you can afford,not just one to satisfy the insurance company.The hassle of having no bike til the claim gets sorted,plus having to get home on the day means it's much better to spend more and have a bike than less but knowing you can claim.
Any lock that has failed the 'gold' standard I would forget about tbh,unless it's just for a quick nip inside a shop or similar.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
For £60 you might as well get various gold ones (some much better than others). Waste of time spending £60 on a silver.

Top Bottom