Are big tellies worth buying?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
We treated ourselves to a huge new telly as with Mr L21 working nights we dont go out much and prefer to be at home or have friends round. Its a 50 inch one, LG, and it didnt look half as big in the shop as it did when set up in our normal sized (ie small!) lounge!!!!!!!!!!!! Its brilliant tho, like being at the pictures every night!!! As for peoples missus's on here moaning about the size of big tellys...WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its brill,if your gonna have one have a BIG ONE:biggrin:

Lisa21 said:
We treated ourselves to a huge new telly as with Mr L21 working nights we dont go out much and prefer to be at home or have friends round. Its a 50 inch one, LG, and it didnt look half as big in the shop as it did when set up in our normal sized (ie small!) lounge!!!!!!!!!!!! Its brilliant tho, like being at the pictures every night!!! As for peoples missus's on here moaning about the size of big tellys...WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its brill,if your gonna have one have a BIG ONE:biggrin:

She stopped moaning after taking possession of the remote control :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
very-near said:
The pic on my 37" LG LCD in 1080i off the DVD is substantially better than my old panasonic CRT (which was IMO very good for the tube size)

SD is fairly mediocre though :rofl:

It's the case with mine linf, but I didn't spend say £1200-1500 on a tv in the late 90s/early 00s and then wander into a shop looking at £300 tvs in today's money. The LCD is a lot better than the CRT, much better. DVD through HDMI is substantially better than SD broadcasts, way, way better. I think there are a fair few people in the category I described though, who for whatever reason are wanting to spend a lot less money on new tvs than they did in the past, get old stock, not research and then moan about the picture especially if they then say well I'm not getting Sky HD or a Blu-ray player until they are giving them away, I'll watch DVDs through my ancient SCART DVD player.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don't feel that strongly about it but I genuinely much prefer the picture on the 32" Trinitron to any flat screen I've seen. It probably lacks the bite of HD - tho' I can't say you perceive any lack of sharpness when you're actually watching - but I think it has a subtlety of tonal graduation that flat screens lack. Flesh tones, eg, are much more subtle and realistic. And also, it's much more forgiving of watching at angles other than straight-on. With the in-laws' flat screen, the straight-on image is sharp and clear - albeit harsh and over-contrasty for my taste - but if you try to watch from the other sofa - ie, at a 45 degrees to the screen angle - it's virtually unwatchable. Whereas with my CRT, the angle makes no difference, or as near as dammit.

Oh yeah, I never paid no two grand for it neither. Got it off ebay three years back for £165. Remote speakers 'n everythin'.

marinyork

[quote name='swee'pea99']I don't feel that strongly about it but I genuinely much prefer the picture on the 32" Trinitron to any flat screen I've seen. It probably lacks the bite of HD - tho' I can't say you perceive any lack of sharpness when you're actually watching - but I think it has a subtlety of tonal graduation that flat screens lack. Flesh tones, eg, are much more subtle and realistic. And also, it's much more forgiving of watching at angles other than straight-on.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I lost concentration were your praising HD there for it's common features? I'm getting confused now :rofl:.

I know there are good budget LCDs out there and CRTs can be all right, I just meet far too many moaners comparing apples with oranges.

Surveys and comments mostly seem to suggest that for most people that haven't got HD they've heard of it, would quite like it but don't want to spend more than £400 on a tv and look at the list of broadcast HD channels and find it odd that the terrestrial analogue five aren't available in HD and not for free and so say well I'll wait a few more years then. There also seems to be the assumption some new wonder technology will come along.

marinyork

TVs shouldn't necessarily be the focus of a room. The newer technologies make it less likely if you do it right.

marinyork

Uncle Mort said:
That's what I said :biggrin:

User and Linf are about, it must only be a few seconds before User482 appears, I thought you could do with a bit of emotional support before it turns into a safe sofa to green tv size ratio thread.

marinyork said:
User and Linf are about, it must only be a few seconds before User482 appears, I thought you could do with a bit of emotional support before it turns into a safe sofa to green tv size ratio thread.

:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We have a 28" Panasonic 100 hz (big heavy fella), and it took me a long time to get that...... TBH, the picture quality is fantastic.....but we don't have Sky/Virgin, and don't watch many movies etc....or loads of TV.....

You do have to watch the quality of the LCD's though, my in-law's LCD, whilst expensive, is what I'd call crap - poor angles, low brightness. My folk's 37" (bro did the research and spent mum and dad's cash) is outstanding......

marinyork

The LED tvs aren't too bad. Thing is for about the £2000 price task you'd go for some maniacal top end plasma or LCD instead. I'm not sure whether they'll catch on or not, the power consumption on them is quite promising and overall nice picture.

OLED's on the back burner. It was supposed to have been mass deployed last year into smaller devices. The plans that were already a long time in the future for bigger screens, are way off schedule. You're talking something mad like 2012-15. There are even a lot of rumours about companies throwing the towel in completely.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm hoping our 25" Trinitron CRT will do another 17 years...

I've seen some real shite big screen/flat-screen TV's in other peoples houses.

Top Bottom