Are bikes like Fiats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Grasen said:
I don't care where a bike comes from, but the trek bikes I have had the missfortune to ride did not suit me at all. The geometry was terrible.

Hang on ! Make up you're mind; a minute ago it was the fact that the bike was American. Now it's suddenly because the geometry doesn't fit you......

And to be honest, I can't see the relevance of either statement to the mechanical longevity and roadworthyness of a Trek, which was surely the point of the OP.

I smell ;)

actonblue

Über Member
This thread is turning into a pythonesque whatever have the americans done for us?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
tyred said:
the Rudge was simply designed to last in a way that very little is today.

we're agreed then. :smile:
the very little includes most UK framebuilders are still making steel frames that could become heirlooms.

potsy

Rambler
i have a cheapish trek-7.1Fx which did over 2300 miles last year with no mechanical issues whatsoever,fitted a new chain a few weeks ago and that is all it's had done to it.
re the OP sounds like you've been unlucky tbh,wouldn't have expected those problems especially as you say it's been cleaned and looked after properly,I think my Trek had about 3 washes last year and chain wiped with a rag and re-lubed maybe every 2-3 weeks.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
tyred said:
the Rudge was simply designed to last in a way that very little is today

Actually I genuinely doubt that was the case. The longevity of such designs was almost coincidental, accidental massive over engineering. They released new models year on year in the old days too.

I doubt that if the internet had existed in the 1950s cycling forums would have had quite so many threads about the life and fragility of chains. The old lore was that the chain would be the most unlikely part of a bike to break. Now, as manufacturers shoehorn more sprockets into the same rear space, "flimsy" is the word that springs to mind for modern 10-speed chains. On the borderline of being "fit for purpose" really.

actonblue

Über Member
I don't think that chains are less flimsy than the 1950s but you are correct in saying it is the fault of the multi sprocket world that we now live in. A chain will last longer if it its chain line is straight. Our multi speed steeds throw the chain into all sorts of lines and this leads increased wear.
Also shifting can lead to the chain breaking if you are unlucky

tyred

Legendary Member
The utility bikes of yesteryear like my Rudge also had the chain completely enclosed. It makes wheel removal "interesting" but I have no doubt whatsoever that it drastically increases chain life as well as keeping your trousers clean.

Top Bottom