1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are cameras tougher than skulls?

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by jefmcg, 27 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMAG

JMAG Well-Known Member

Only thing I know is I've had 2 offs in the last month and hit my head hard both times (especially the last one) whilst wearing a helmet. I suffered no rotational injuries and I am glad I was wearing a helmet. I believe my injuries would have been much worse had I not been wearing a helmet.

My rather simplistic take on it is that if I had to headbut a brick wall (or a tarmac road) and was given the choice of doing so with or without a helmet, I would go with the helmet. I'm totally happy for others to make their own choice though. :smile:

Edit. I also know I should look at taking my cycling proficiency test again!
  2. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Its basic commonsense innit!

Helmets are invincible and will always save your life... so no need to cycle in a sensible manner, reactto signage or road conditions when you have a helmet
    Brandane and classic33 like this.
  3. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Camera mount in that case. Neither the helmet or the camera.
    winjim likes this.
  4. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

PPE fail?
  5. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

With observation skills as poor as that I hope he hasn't got access to a car. He needs to concentrate on the cause of the crash (lack of skills) more than the helmet that may or may not have had any effect.

Brandane and Sea of vapours like this.
  6. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

It reminds me of this...

The poem is of course allegorical whereas the incident in question reminds me of it in a more literal sense.
    Last edited: 27 Aug 2015
  7. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Blooming heck @JMAG. I feel unlucky if I come off twice in a YEAR. Are you riding obstacle courses or something? Please take care: it sounds like it might be only a matter of time before you hit something most helmets aren't designed to cope with, like a rock.
    JMAG likes this.
  8. Dan B

Dan B Señor Member

See, I look at it from a slightly different perspective. If I was given the choice between riding like a twat and possibly headbutting a brick wall, or riding sensibly for the conditions, taking notice of road signs etc and getting there slightly later, I would go with the longer journey time. I'm totally happy for others to make their own choice though.
    vernon, srw, Brandane and 2 others like this.
  9. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Training sensible riding and experience count as they reduce accidents

That is the sensible approach... Reduce the accidents as opposed to trying on a scientifically unproven piece of kit to reduce injuries when the accident happens

Leaving aside the melons......

Which hurts less;

Hitting your head against a brick wall
    Hitting your helmeted head against a brick wall

Or the far more sensible and easier ...

Not hitting your head against a brick wall at all
    mjr likes this.
  10. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire Staff Member

Under the Edge
    Mod Note: mistakes will happen - apologies for the deletions that some of you noticed - the deleted posts have been reinstated.

('Twasn't me, but the moderator in question is not on line at the moment.)

As you were...
  11. Having just been in a similar situation I can only agree with Neal. You cannot tell what his head hit or didnt hit by the footage. But he certainly will, as I did. I dont know if mine saved my life but I know for certain it saved me a lot of road rash to my forehead.

I have 4 helmets but more often wear a Buff or Cap. After my fall it is going to be helmet every time from now on. We are all adults and we must all make our own choices.

I came away with a broken finger but it could have been far worse.

Cunobelin, i have ridden thousands of miles over 50 years and my recent spill is the only time I have been off. I am sure Neal is very experienced but accidents happen.
    Last edited: 27 Aug 2015
    Erudin and JMAG like this.
  12. JMAG

JMAG Well-Known Member

@Dan B, you're talking about accident prevention rather than protection. You don't have to be riding like a twat to come a cropper. Sometimes other road users cause accidents no matter how careful you are. Otherwise, people wouldn't get run over walking on pavements and lamposts wouldn't be involved in so many collisions!

Accidents are just that. I never had an accident in 20 odd years of riding motorbikes even though I had my fair share of cars trying to murder me. That requires luck as well as care.
  13. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

I have not yet left the bike due to an accident. I have crashed due to errors by myself and others. Actual accidents where no one is to blame are very rare and I doubt your helmets are tested against most of them.
  14. Mine was of my own making and nobody else was involved. In general terms I would still think it is referred to as an accident.......I didnt do it on purpose, honest.
    JMAG likes this.
  15. Scoosh

Scoosh Velocouchiste Staff Member

Mod Note:
    Oooops ! :blush:

My apologies to those who had their posting pleasure 'disturbed'.

Thanks to @mjray for Reporting my errant post. :okay:

I have given myself a 1-day Thread Ban. :sad:
    jefmcg, mjr, Poacher and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.