Are Charity Shops Having a Laugh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The smell in them makes me gag,I had to take some books in for my Mum and I could hardly manage to stand in the queue to hand them over it was that bad.
Even the one i went into today had a slight charity shop whiff and it didn't sell clothes. Maybe they have Glade type machines that spray out that smell, for authenticity?:smile:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I've experienced both sides - as a volunteer and as a punter.

Used to volunteer for the local branch of the BRC before it closed, and my task was to sort out the donations as they came in. I've picked out my share of things - mainly books and clothing, but always paid for them what they'd have asked for them anyways. Having first dibs is payback for sorting through mountains of trash (including sh***y nappies) that people see fit to donate. And yes, we'd also get donated a lot of stuff from other local charities that they couldn't shift. But as we did jumble sales rather than have a shop, most of it went in the end. The better stuff would be set aside for the couple of times a year we had a stall on the market.

As a punter, I've had better luck in charity shops in off-the-beaten-track places. Have also had good buys off charity stalls at various fundraisers and at cat shows. With the chains (Oxfam, Cancer Research etc) it's much like supermarkets - depends on the location and the manager. The independents are also less likely to have savvy people sorting out donations, so easier to sniff out the hidden gems.

I'm with you, @Pat "5mph" - when it comes to things like DVDs, sometimes it's cheaper to go to Computer Exchange. And certainly agree about the challenge when collecting.

Best finds have included a white gold bracelet set with blue topaz, a silver sugar bowl, various items of Wedgwood glass, an african tribal figurine in ivory (shouldn't have actually been on sale as couldn't prove post 1947), a large Beswick cat, the 1914 and 1938 editions of Jane's Fighting Ships, a set of Victorian military prints, some Babylon 5 memorabilia and a selection of East German and Soviet cameras. Well, my tastes are nothing but eclectic LOL...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
They are mostly big business these days.

The majority of "charity" shops send all their donations to a hub. These are then sifted through and the good stuff is put on ebay. The rubbish, along with unsold ebay items, is then shipped back to the shop for sale. Any unsold goods in shops are then moved around to other shops within the chain.
... which is just a sensible way of raising as much money as possible from donated items. Doing anything else would be wrong, and potentially against charity law.

I love rummaging around in charity shops - they're great places for picking up books, DVDs, interesting fabrics and the odd handy gubbin. But is it me, or are they're having a laugh? Or giraffe...

One in town this morning had a tiny sterling flower pendant on a chain priced up somewhat more expensive than a very similar brand harry spankers pendant and chain in a jeweller's just a stone's throw away. :wacko:

Last year, another charity shop in town had a vintage Singer sewing machine in their window display for £70 (shabby, non-working) when you can get the same machines (in working condition) elsewhere for a tenner-ish... :headshake:They churned these out by the millions back in the day and there're still plenty around - I know, I have three of them.

The odd neat item can (and does) slip through the net and you can land a nice bargain, but on the whole, charity shops seem to be wildly overpriced, even on basics like crockery and clothes... I've seen Primark stuff selling for more than in Primark... :wacko: At least you can haggle when you go to a boot sale...
Yep, some of the prices they are charging are crazy. I'm normally looking for fabric, and the prices they often charge are well over the top.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Yep, some of the prices they are charging are crazy. I'm normally looking for fabric, and the prices they often charge are well over the top.

It's actually been a while since I've snagged any decent fabric in a charity shop, though I always look. Recently, I've had better luck in those little Indian-owned fabric shops, where good buys can be had. I usually look for things like velvet, heavyweight satin, damask and brocade - I use them to make cat show drapes.

I was caught in a shower last summer with no coat so I popped into Oxfam and bought a Northface coat for a fiver.

Later that afternoon walking down Deansgate the sun had come out so I offered the coat to the bloke that lives under the railway there.

He took a brief look at it and said "no thanks mate"

As you were

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
My mates daughter buys loads of books from.charity shops.

And creates these.
130727084741438140.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4732303, member: 9609"]are these the devices that periodically pump some scent out ?

As mentioned earlier I do the maintenance stuff in this charity shop, and I will often chose to do the work late at night when there is no one in. Some time ago I was in their very late at night putting up some slatwall, and every so often there was this odd noise, maybe some-one moaning. Now as you can imagine the shop has a lot of stuff from people who have died and my mind was starting to wander, I was no happy being their by myself at like 1am - anyway it was a few nights later when I worked out it was one of those pumps making a noise ever 15 min or something.[/QUOTE]
:eek:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
[QUOTE 4732406, member: 259"]I've just had a great idea for an Izal tie-in...[/QUOTE]

I see someone else is thinking along similar lines to me. :okay: Good for emergency bog roll if you run out. Same with 50 Shades... :whistle:

When I was doing the donations for local BRC, I used to take cases of the things to the book bank at the recycling centre...

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thats spot on.My missus works in a charity shop and she gets first pick on everything.Its not all bad though as she does bring me back plenty of cycling books.
A relative worked in a charity shop. Apparently it was "cast in stone" that they could not have first choice...........it had to be in stock for 'X' days before they could buy it.
I very rarely visit charity shops but on the odd occasion have bought some good items e.g. a couple of nice cognac glasses.

Top Bottom