Are Christmas cards ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I rarely send cards and when I do it is with real fondness and thought.
This year though I have been hand writing letters to go in them.

Yeah, some people got A, some got H, etc....

I give them to people I don't have much contact with throughout the year, but am thinking of, and to those who are special to me.

With regard to Secret Santa, we had an alternative one this year at work - the inappropriate Secret Santa. You picked a name out of a hat, and then had to choose the most inappropriate present you could for them. Not rude necessarily, just something utterly 'wrong'. Limit of five pounds (preferably less), and had to be from a charity shop (where they are all likely to end up again, benefitting charity twice). But we're a close knit group, and all know each other well, and made some effort to choose funny things.

I picked a guy who likes a lot of eclectic music, much of it by people I've never heard of. I found him an S Club 7 CD.

snorri

Legendary Member
did years ago get a card off my brother and wife which simply said "from Bill and Jenny", which i found particularly offensive... at least write the recipients name in the sodding thing so it doesn't appear that sending this batch of so called 'greetings' is nothing but a burden for you (to$$ers).

The recipients name would have been on the outside of the envelope, do you really need to read your name twice ?

The biggest holy load of bowlocks going? I mean to say; the office thing where peeps you see very bl00dy day hand deliver to your desk????&^%$ WTF. Never gave one in all the years I was working, just couldn't see a reason for it.

Next is hand delivering round yer Hood. WTF is that? I hate opening teh mail box and finding hand delivered unstamped cards in envelopes; and on occasions they don't even know your name, hence it says something like "To all at Seaview (made that up my house is not called that just in case you were thinking of annoying me with a card)! From all at Dunroamin." I mean .... perlease; just don't bother, I couldn't give a flying f....

Husband and Wife ?????? You err see each other every sodding day; WHY give one another a feckin card?

On the few I send, and it is peeps I think about or mean something to me, that I don't see either through circumstance or miles apart, I really choose the words carefully. So many have such poetic crap inside. Slop or what?

It's probably just me out on my lonesome, but tis what I think. It just seems 'we' are brainwashed into it by the card makers.

I agree with what you say about anonymous cards and that the few I do send are to those that mean something to me, all the others e.g. from work colleagues or neighours I don't know for example I wouldnt miss if I didnt get them.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
I send cards to people I like but dont see very often (friends abroad, Rellies living away, etc) but cannot see the point in this "must send cards to everyone I have ever walked past in the street and nodded to" obsession that people have. Daft. The cards that I do send are hand-made and personal, and mean something to that person.
My dogs, however, are a total embarrassment and insist on giving cards and presents to some of their best friends:biggrin:

I send cards to people I like but dont see very often (friends abroad, Rellies living away, etc) but cannot see the point in this "must send cards to everyone I have ever walked past in the street and nodded to" obsession that people have. Daft. The cards that I do send are hand-made and personal, and mean something to that person.
My dogs, however, are a total embarrassment and insist on giving cards and presents to some of their best friends:biggrin:

You were doing so well until you got to your dogs lol:laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
BAH HUMBUG!

FullSize_A.jpg

Just the thing for a cold winter's morning....

longers

Legendary Member
Black seems to be quite a popular colour for christmas cards this year. Is this a nation/worldwide thing?

Top Bottom