Are cyclists the scourge of the streets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just had a thought. A fair few of the gammony types who moan about cyclists' perceived ignorance and "flouting" of the Highway Code will have obtained their licence before the theory test was introduced in 1996 - which means they've literally never been tested on their knowledge of the HWC.

Hmmmmm.

potsy

Rambler
I can not find any reference to it being illegal. Why do you say it is a grey area?
Easier than admitting he is wrong?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've just had a thought. A fair few of the gammony types who moan about cyclists' perceived ignorance and "flouting" of the Highway Code will have obtained their licence before the theory test was introduced in 1996 - which means they've literally never been tested on their knowledge of the HWC.

Hmmmmm.
And most of those who have passed theory tests will never have read any updates to the code, so still believe that cyclists with flashing head/tail lights are breaking the law, among other things.

But really, it's fairly obvious when riding around that many motorists either don't know or don't care about road laws: green means go, amber means go, red means go if you think you'll get away with it and that kerbed bit at the side is overflow for passing motorists queueing to turn right and so on.

I was out of the country when channel 5, scourge of the airwaves, broadcast its hate, but it does feel like there's more abuse and less consideration from drivers since I returned. Hopefully it's a temporary blip.

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
Where I work they're very anti cyclist anyway, since that show I have taken to ignoring the people I share the office with, I use the desk that's partitioned off and have earphones in most of the time, I don't need to interact with the morons anyway as I technically work for the USA site.

Last edited:

jarlrmai

Veteran
I finally got round to watching a recording of it, no surprises as most of the comments were entirely predictable.

But I did love the part (I had to replay it a couple of times to make sure my ears weren't deceiving me) where the bloke, a taxi driver I think, referred to cyclists as a "plague of lotuses".

It wasn't clear whether that was a botanical or automotive reference, but either way it was a lovely image. :rolleyes:

Obviously a reference to Chris Boardman's revolutionary Lotus track bike

rugby bloke

Veteran
Saw an interesting interaction yesterday afternoon. Waiting at the lights waiting to cross Euston Road, a pedestrian taps the guy in front of me and told him that when he rode through a red light on a pedestrian crossing he almost hit a visually impaired person who had not idea he was therefore. The cyclist looked sheepish and tried to edge as far way as possible. In this case I can only agree with the pedestrian, riding like that is thoughtless and dangerous. Plus it gained him no time as he was caught by the next set of lights.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I saw a car go through a red light yesterday.

Johnno260

Veteran
Cars cutting corners, not yielding to the right at roundabouts, red lights etc is a every day occurrence.

I gave a statement regarding a car cutting a corner and hitting another head on, best part is as it was behind me the guy was screwed thanks to the fly6.

Dazzyt66

Regular
Saw an interesting interaction yesterday afternoon. Waiting at the lights waiting to cross Euston Road, a pedestrian taps the guy in front of me and told him that when he rode through a red light on a pedestrian crossing he almost hit a visually impaired person who had not idea he was therefore. The cyclist looked sheepish and tried to edge as far way as possible. In this case I can only agree with the pedestrian, riding like that is thoughtless and dangerous. Plus it gained him no time as he was caught by the next set of lights.

I was crossing by Euston a few years ago (on a zebra crossing) when some idiot carried on riding through at about 20mph - missing me enough so I felt the slipstream. Naturally I shouted something like ‘d*ckhead!’ - the reply I got was ‘f*ck off!’ - it’s the minority like this that people remember...

GuyBoden

Guru
I saw a teenager pulling a wheelie across both sides of an A road last week, his wheelie lasted a long time, he was good and well balanced. All approaching cars stopped to give him space, some even clapped him for his endeavors, it was a quiet mid-week afternoon, no one seemed to be in a rush.

I'm not advocating wheelie pulling, just stating what happened......

Last edited:
Top Bottom