Are cyclists the scourge of the streets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I finally got round to watching a recording of it, no surprises as most of the comments were entirely predictable.

But I did love the part (I had to replay it a couple of times to make sure my ears weren't deceiving me) where the bloke, a taxi driver I think, referred to cyclists as a "plague of lotuses".

It wasn't clear whether that was a botanical or automotive reference, but either way it was a lovely image. :rolleyes:

Smudge

Veteran
I cant see how a stab vest could ever be construed as illegal in any situation whatsoever.
It reminds me of the film Monty Python And The Holy Grail. where the modern day police turn up at the battle at the end of the film. Of all the weapons there, a copper grabs a shield and says 'Thats an offensive weapon that is'

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I finally got round to watching a recording of it, no surprises as most of the comments were entirely predictable.

But I did love the part (I had to replay it a couple of times to make sure my ears weren't deceiving me) where the bloke, a taxi driver I think, referred to cyclists as a "plague of lotuses".

It wasn't clear whether that was a botanical or automotive reference, but either way it was a lovely image. :rolleyes:
Didn't spot that little nugget, probably wincing from all the pi5h coming out his mouth.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I can not find any reference to it being illegal. Why do you say it is a grey area?
I read on some sites that there is an EU-wide ban on civilians using military-spec body armour, but I did not find the actual regulation or directive text, or which UK SI implements it - but it's a long way from my usual searches of transport law!

classic33

Leg End Member
I read on some sites that there is an EU-wide ban on civilians using military-spec body armour, but I did not find the actual regulation or directive text, or which UK SI implements it - but it's a long way from my usual searches of transport law!
It's legal to purchase and own stab proof vests in England. The grey area is with the wearing of concealed vests. Bus drivers, which is what he said he was, are not on that list.

They are used by certain jobs/professions. The detail will be in the small print, when you get the vest.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It's legal to purchase and own stab proof vests in England. The grey area is with the wearing of concealed vests. Bus drivers, which is what he said he was, are not on that list.

They are used by certain jobs/professions. The detail will be in the small print, when you get the vest.

It doesn't matter what the seller says, it's the legislation that matters.
Is there anything in statute that even hints at body armour being illegal in the UK?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It is not illegal to purchase, own or wear a stab vest in the UK, what law do you think you are breaking? Many moons ago I worked a door and an ill informed member of staff called the Police because someone tried getting into the club wearing one. He was turned away, but a precautionary call was put in. When the Police came (including a Sergeant) they confirmed that wearing a vest was not illegal at all.

An old post about vests can be seen at: https://police.community/topic/269503-law-regarding-body-armor/ and there are numerous up to date news articles saying again that they are not illegal to wear.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

He would have been referring to me n my mates..

Us cycling yogis.

Those taxi drivers do hate it when we take to the streets, pedalling about en mass, with our legs crossed..

:angel:

KneesUp

Guru
My Chinese takeaway was delivered by someone wearing a stab vest and body camera.
This sounds like the set up line for a gag - but it's a sad reflection on society. (Or he wasn't just delivering food I suppose, although the body cam might be frowned upon if that's the case!)

Johnno260

Veteran
This programme has certainly inflamed the ignorant masses.

The amount of grief I have gotten due to this crap show from people I know is a joke, I have actually taken to refusing to respond now, as obviously the minority of idiots used in those clips means all cyclists are the same.

Maybe when everyone is choking on polluted air they may realise cyclists weren’t that bad.

Top Bottom