Are disc brakes better than callipers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I love, no, adore, the hydro disks on my MTB. Wet or dry. They're just so finger light and incredible modulation. I've never ridden a caliper equipped bike which felt that good.

I can't comment on which is more powerful because I have different brakes on different bikes/tires. I've never had caliper brakes then make me do a stoppie, either coz they're not set up right, or I'm too heavy, or the brakes are just not powerful enough.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I love, no, adore, the hydro disks on my MTB. Wet or dry. They're just so finger light and incredible modulation. I've never ridden a caliper equipped bike which felt that good.

I can't comment on which is more powerful because I have different brakes on different bikes/tires. I've never had caliper brakes then make me do a stoppie, either coz they're not set up right, or I'm too heavy, or the brakes are just not powerful enough.
That is it in a nutshell, it's not about which is more powerful but which is more controllable!

anothersam

SMIDSMe
So, a set of pads of a friction material clamping onto an annular surface and the friction thereby created being transferred to the tyre/road interface thus slowing the bike are better, or maybe not, than a set of pads of a friction material clamping onto an annular surface and the friction thereby created being transferred to the tyre/road interface thus slowing the bike.

That's about the size of it.

I recently had a chat with my GP, of all people, about brakes. He wants discs on his next road bike because he loves all things new. I prefer my 105s because, among other reasons, I don't think calipers are as ugly as the setup for discs (the rotors themselves are often quite pretty though; pleasingly annular, if you will). He disagreed; he said he prefers the absence of traditional calipers when he's looking down. We reached common ground on the fact that they will both stop you, probably in plenty of time.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
That's about the size of it.

I recently had a chat with my GP, of all people, about brakes. He wants discs on his next road bike because he loves all things new. I prefer my 105s because, among other reasons, I don't think calipers are as ugly as the setup for discs (the rotors themselves are often quite pretty though). He disagreed; he said he prefers the absence of traditional calipers when he's looking down. We reached common ground on the fact that they will both stop you, probably in plenty of time.
Doctor, can you have a look at my slipped discs please? :smile:

It is my belief that bicycle disc brakes for road bike use is just a marketing/bikebling accessory.
So say many people... until they try them.

ETA: I've now caught up on all the comments and see @tommaguzzi says he's tried them on a borrowed bike for one day. Hardly a comprehensive comparison, but fair dos. However, the fact that he keeps modifying and qualifying his original post sees his stance weakening with each qualification. I was just as dismissive/skeptical, had no complaints whatsoever about my caliper brakes -- even the Weinmanns on my 1979 road bike provided they are properly set up -- but after a few months with disc brakes, can say hand on heart I will never go back. Yes, I still happily ride my caliper-brakes bikes. But last June I descended Ratagan Pass on the Glen Shiel side and will never attempt such a thing on calipers.

YMMV, as they say.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tommaguzzi

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I've ot changed my stance one bit. In my op I said the chap following said only his disc brakes saved the day. I still think if he was using callipers he would have stopped in time.

U

User482

I see we're re-hashing the debates held in mtb circles, circa 1995. And before anyone starts, an mtb on a muddy or gravel trail has considerably less grip than a road bike on tarmac.

SD1

On an old bike had disc front and rim rear. Had to replace the rear 5 or 6 times. It was was about 14 years old. I only used cheap rims though. In terms of wear and tear disc win hands down relative to aluminium. Braking with rim brakes in the wet is affected. I would guess for half a turn of the wheels?

Regardless of the stopping efficiency or otherwise of disc brakes, I suppose I am a retro minimalist and disc brakes just add to the clutter and spoil a sleek looking bike. I wouldn't even contemplate putting them on my pride and joy, just wouldn't look right [mind you, neither would gears].
0466BC0F-D3BF-48E3-885F-69E511CFC71F_zps4kvlt7f1.jpg

Top Bottom