Are modern bikes rubbish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I bought an Ammaco with bent forks (from a crash) for spares. I was amazed at how well it was put together and how low the tolerances were compared to my 1990 Raleigh.

Tough one to call I think? Mine range from 1995 to 2019 and although the oldest is the best imo, the 105 disc brakes beat the old canti's hands down. A lot of modern bikes feel too 'generic', but aren't gigantic frame factories in Taiwan to blame for that?

Yakboy

Regular
My modern enduro bike is awesome can eat terrain with ease but as Grant has indicated is completely soulless, that's why I restore and ride my Retro mountain bikes when I can, sure I can't pedal the terrain I can on my enduro but quirks add up to character and riding is not always about how fast you can go or how gnarly the terrain you ride:rolleyes:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I quite like my steel road bikes and they aren't run of the mill off the peg stuff. That said, modern MTB's are incredible. I do indeed still ride my retro 'rigid' MTB', but blimey, the new stuff is far more capable than I am.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Yes. And they look stoopid.
But then if I could justify the money...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I remember a thread recently when the poster had an aluminium bike, nothing fancy, just a roadster, and it's aluminium frame had failed near the headstock on the down tube after 10 years. Not sure if he bought it new but was quite philosophical about the failure so perhaps modern bikes are now thought of like toasters and other disposable items?

T4tomo

Guru
Tough one to call I think? Mine range from 1995 to 2019 and although the oldest is the best imo, the 105 disc brakes beat the old canti's hands down. A lot of modern bikes feel too 'generic', but aren't gigantic frame factories in Taiwan to blame for that?
1980 to 2015 for mine. Bikes for every occasion and mood. Retro steel has its place, modern carbon has it place and my most versatile bike is an Alu gravel bike.

Drago

Legendary Member
Some modern bikes are stunning.

Some modern bikes are shite.

Bikes that were superb 50 years ago are still superb today.

Bikes that were a load of J. Arthur Rank 50 years ago are still rubbish today, but now labelled L'Eroica and sell for good money.

It has always been thus since the bicycle was invented by John F. Kennedy in 1912.

Top Bottom