Are my bluebells English or Spanish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
English or Spanish?

750A67BF-9F21-4AA7-81F9-0169E7176EB5.jpeg

They stand about 15” high.

:smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
See if they have a siesta after lunch.

Svendo

Guru
I think they’re English as they have pale stamens and Spanish have bright orange ones. Also the fully grown stems droop at the top whereas Spanish bluebells point up with the last bunch.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
They were already in the garden when we moved in a few years ago. If they get out of control, I’ll dump them in the recycling.
If they were English, I’d replant them somewhere.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Hybrids

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Bluebells hybridise really quickly so there are lots of varients of part-Spanish, part-English both in gardens and in the wild.

Even if you think you have English bluebells you shouldn't dump them in the wild as they may not be pure English ones.

Sadly I think it’s already too far gone. Some may call it evolution. According to some naturalists on a podcast I heard there is little that can be done.

If anyone is interested in wild plant identification I would recommended The Wild Flowers Key by Francis Rose. An easier guide would be ‘The Easy Guide’ range of books.

They were already in the garden when we moved in a few years ago. If they get out of control, I’ll dump them in the recycling.
If they were English, I’d replant them somewhere.

If you want to get shot of them make sure you dig down deep and remove all of the bulbs.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
If you want to get shot of them make sure you dig down deep and remove all of the bulbs.

Unfortunately much of the hybridisation comes from cross pollination.

So it’s with some joy we are doing a great job of killing off the flying pollinators through our use of neonicotinoids, pollution and monoculture. Way ahead of the game us lot.

Top Bottom