Are my chainrings worn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
I will have a think about it first.....

longers

Legendary Member
A friend at work binned his recently that was worse than yours and forgot he was saving it for me.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I believe Jobst Brandt suggested that worn sprockets have unsymmetric teeth profile. His reasoning is that for chainsets/cassettes only the front/back edges of each tooth are under load respectively. There are stories that in the old days one flipped sprockets around as the other edges remain good as new!

D

Deleted member 1258

RecordAceFromNew said:
I believe Jobst Brandt suggested that worn sprockets have unsymmetric teeth profile. His reasoning is that for chainsets/cassettes only the front/back edges of each tooth are under load respectively. There are stories that in the old days one flipped sprockets around as the other edges remain good as new!

I've never flipped a sprocket but I have flipped chain rings in the past. Before we had cassettes I was using a stronglight chainset on my bike and found I could flip the rings to make them last longer. On a later bike with a stronglight chainset I tried it and found I had problems with the chain dropping between the rings when changing gear.

Tynan

Veteran
I rotated the big chainring last year on the basis that it didn;t wear evenly, it certainly hasn;t given my any probs at all since then, maybe just starting to now

at least I think I did, do campag chainrings have an offset arm?

Top Bottom