Are roadies faster / easier than hybrids?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigguy

Hello again, a short review of my CB Legend Hybrid.... I think if i was buying again id forget about the springy front fork suspension, and suspension seat post... in my opinion its just pointless weight added on. Another thing.. its fitted with a comfort gel padded saddle, absolutely lovely for the short run, but after a couple of hours my arse is aching... why???;)
Finally.. I know im not the best of a cyclist, but this bike seems to be bloody murder in a headwind!! It is certainly not a bike for going fast on! Thank God for the granny wheel, thats what I say ... lol

Now a couple of questions for you knowledgeable guys..... wouldI have had a better bike had i bought a tourer or a roadie ( for covering miles..easier )... and... Do they come with the granny wheel? Theres a couple of hills near my house and the granny is the only way i can get up them..:biggrin:..I know..I know.. Its probably my state of unfitness..

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
yes/yes

Keith Oates

Janner
For sure a roadie is faster in all departments, especially into the wind. However there is some limitation with them if you are riding over very bad roads or tracks so you need to know what your regular riding will be in the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yello

Can someone clarify? I thought a "roadie" was the rider. The bike itself is, I thought, simply a 'road bike'.

Tynan

Veteran
Road bike is a league quicker/more efficent than a hybrid, but there's nothing 'wrong' with a decent hybrid

the seatpost/sus forks and gel saddle will be more of a problem than the bike design itself

byegad

Legendary Member
No one has mentioned that in return for the extra speed and precise handling a Road bike gives a harsher ride on a lees than smooth road. It's usually worth putting up with the ride to gain the extra speed, but worth mentioning.

OP
OP
B

bigguy

Doh! Ok, In the post read 'roadie' as 'road bike' , and CB as Claude Butler(for all who find my typing shortcuts annoying. )
Some of the roads up my way have been torn apart for the last 3 yrs by water authorities, British telecom, Pheonix Gas, and just about bloody everybody else who think they need to bury a pipe in the middle of the road. The quality of the roads are'nt good at all..
To be fair to the bike, it is built for comfort and IS comfortable. Just how much am I sacrificing in effort to the comfort...That is the question...

yello said:
Can someone clarify? I thought a "roadie" was the rider. The bike itself is, I thought, simply a 'road bike'.

What's the point of splitting hairs/being pedantic? :wacko:

bigguy!
A road bike uses very narrow tyres, giving it the speed (powered by super-strong legs/lungs), but as Keith said, it is not suitable on all road/track surfaces.
A good quality, but mid-range (such as Scott and Specialized) hybrid should be suitable for your needs, giving you the required comfort from longer rides, but also at an adequate speed.

Keith Oates

Janner
yello said:
You may be right there Yello but I always refer to my road bikes as 'the roadies' and I think some others do as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wafflycat

I cycle Norfolk's best pot-holed, flint-strewn, vegetation growing up the middle of, edges crumbling away roads entirely comfortably on my road bike (entry-level race bike), tourer or recumbent trike. Not a bit of suspension on any of them. No need. Haven't used my hybrid for several years now... Used them on cycle tracks (spit) with non-tarmac surfaces without problem. If I was going to do some serious off-roding, I'd be wanting a bike with suspension, but for even Norfolk's cruddy roads and facilities, suspension isn't necessary at all. And if I wasn't comfortable on the bikes, I'd not have them, if you see what I mean

OP
OP
B

bigguy

Im taking into account all said so far... Considering my local roads (condition ), and my big frame (me, not the bike! And not too big I hope! I'm 6' 1" 17st ), I think it might be wiser to stick with a broader tyre / hybrid as Dayvo has suggested for the meantime... Wafflycat, id presume you're a lot lighter than me, so maybe would get away better on the road (narrow) tyres than I would.
In the headwinds i guess I'll just have to bend my arms get my chin down on the bars grit my teeth and get on with it!

These are only my thoughts on the situation... Thanks to all for the advice given, by the way.

yello

Dayvo said:
What's the point of splitting hairs/being pedantic? ;)

I was NOT being pedantic! If you read (again?) what I wrote you would see that I was asking for "clarification" because I myself was unsure. Is it important to get the terminology right? Well, I leave that for you to decide but it certainly assists in my understanding.

Grrrr.... :wacko:

Top Bottom