Are roadies faster / easier than hybrids?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skwerl

bigguy said:
its fitted with a comfort gel padded saddle, absolutely lovely for the short run, but after a couple of hours my arse is aching... why???;)

Because gel saddles don't provide very good support.
There's a wide-ranging but entirley false assumption amongst Joe Public that squidgy saddles must be comfy. In reality it's the 'hard' saddles that provide the best support and long-term comfort but most people just won't believe that to be true.

All probably raleigh's fault. Anyone remember the ad? "I were right about that saddle though"

OP
OP
B

bigguy

I bit the bullet today, went to my LBS and purchased a Brooks B17 saddle, brought it home, fitted it, threw my leg over the beast and went an did a 12 mile ride....
Initially it was as hard as hell, but as it seemed to warm up with my bodyheat it got more comfortable!
I arrive back, with neither pain nor ache... so I'm hoping for an improvement in that area....
LBS guy says i should lower my bars a bit more......

jashburnham

Looking back I don't think anyone has made this point, so I will... as others have said less padded saddles are the way to go, but remember these should be teamed with padded cycling shorts (do not wear underwear with these) the lycra holds the padding in place and renders the uncomfy looking road saddles comfy for extended periods of time. I regularly ride 100 miles without discomfort down there. Of course there are other factors in play such as saddle height and layback (all v important). It's all a bit trial and error but get your positioning right and roadbikes can be very comfy. I started with a hybrid a few years ago and soon upgraded it, I'd never ever buy one again.

Top Bottom