Are Shimano WH-R501 wheels any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raging Squirrel

I've just bought a B'twin Triban 3 and I'm thinking of upgrading the wheels. I was going to try the R500's but wanted to know the difference between them and the 501's?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

400bhp

Guru
As a budget wheel they are fine (but pretty harsh) - no idea if it's a plausible upgrade for the boggo standard Triban wheels.

justkeeppedaling

I've just bought a B'twin Triban 3 and I'm thinking of upgrading the wheels. I was going to try the R500's but wanted to know the difference between them and the 501's?
I have just bought the 501's, they do feel nice after riding the stock wheels for 6 months. as an above poster stated the 501's have the same rim as the 500 but upgraded hubs. look quite cool too,.i went for the 30mm profile,
Ribble selling at 85 quid at the time,.worth it in my opinion but put some mileage on your originals first is my advice

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Compared to the stock wheels on my carrera which i guess are a similar quality to the triban the 501`s on my boardman feel a lot quicker and do look a lot nicer.Set a PB last week on a 27 mile loop even though my legs felt off it .
i bought the 24 mm rim with bladed spokes for £74 from ribble as well :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
500s were durable, strong, rolled well and stood 3 or 4 years winter commuting in slush, salt, frost, rain and all the crud the roads throw at you...and i only needed to service the hubs once in that time.
Still as true as the day i bought them, very very good, albeit a bit heavy, wheels for the money.

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

Thanks for the replies. I remember one of the mags doing upgrades on the triban and the wheels were a big tick in their box. Are the prices you state for a set of 2?

Kies

My friend has them on his cube agree GTC 2013 plastic (carbon) road bike - good wheels, appear to run true and fast!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Thanks for the replies. I remember one of the mags doing upgrades on the triban and the wheels were a big tick in their box. Are the prices you state for a set of 2?
Ribble have them for around £75 a pair. Merlin often have a good price. When I got mine Rose were the lowest (Ribble were out of stock)

DaveK

I will be looking to swap my wheels to these in the near future. My logic is if they are good enough to come as standard on a road bike costing around £1000 (the 500/501 seem the most common up to this price point, even higher in some instances), they are more than good enough for my hack.

Top Bottom