Are Smart Lights any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OK for the cash

Tynan

Veteran
got the front one, not used any more

very bright for the money, the mount is a bit dodgy but it's a good light, did me proud for a couple of years

in short, yes

I have a similar set (5 LEDs in the front, and the rear is different - this one from Wiggle). I bought it really for the rear light after reading good reviews of that, and as the rear by itself was 11 pounds, having a set incl a spare front light for 14 was a fair no-brainer. If I was just after a 'be seen' light this is great; I do like a brighter light 'to see with' though as well which is why I have AyUps.

RufusA

Über Member
Answered the same question over at BikeRadar (don't you hate it when people ask the same question in two different forums at the same time).

As @SavageHoutkop said, the Polaris 5 is IMHO the one to get and worth the extra over the basic one for the rear alone!

Rufus.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
SavageHoutkop said:
I have a similar set (5 LEDs in the front, and the rear is different - this one from Wiggle). I bought it really for the rear light after reading good reviews of that, and as the rear by itself was 11 pounds, having a set incl a spare front light for 14 was a fair no-brainer. If I was just after a 'be seen' light this is great; I do like a brighter light 'to see with' though as well which is why I have AyUps.

Yep, worth the extra £2. The rear is truly fab. The front's good and will just pass muster in an emergency on an unlit road.

austinmitchell

Had a 25 lux which wasn't bright enough to see with on dark roads. Also had one of the rear lights that takes 2 AA and says it's visible from up to a mile. Used it in the rain and then random on/off and flashing. Not impressed at all.

joggingbob

I've got those, (x2, ie two front and two back) and for commuting, IMO, to be seen I think they are fine with the rear being very bright for a standard battery light but the front is not bright enough to see with i.e. unlit roads).

Top Bottom