Are stem extenders safe??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Odd, maybe?

But maybe it's because I use my bikes quite hard and don't want to introduce additional failure points on components I am likely to stress 'to the limit'. If you bimble around at a leisurely pace and never ride anything a bit rough at speed then certainly extenders and adjustable stems are probably perfectly adequate, but that doesn't describe my riding style so I avoid such compromise components.

Personally I'm with Skolly on this. Extenders no way. Adjustables - my wife's came with one on her hybrid, but the bike isn't ridden hard. Go for a riser stem.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Personally I'm with Skolly on this. Extenders no way. Adjustables - my wife's came with one on her hybrid, but the bike isn't ridden hard. Go for a riser stem.
..... and he's seen how I treat my bikes :whistle:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I spent years riding around with a flipped stem and lots of spacers under it, because I thought that was what I needed to do to deal with my backache. In fact, it wasn't the drop to the bars that had been the problem, it was the reach.

I borrowed my cousin's bike when on holiday. It was the same frame and size as mine but he had a different setup. It felt much better despite having a low bar position. When I got home I adapted my bike - details HERE. That is much more comfortable for me.

I agree, I have had major back surgery and an upright bike becomes painful for me after an hour, I need something lower. In fact I have now moved two spacers above the stem on this To make it even lower.

TimWinters

Regular
I'm 6'2" and have back problems. I have used stem extenders for years on road and hybrid bikes. Like anything else just get something that is a decent quality. I have always taken care of fitting them and never had a failure. They can withstand a reasonable amount of use in terms of riding trails, light off-road and road cycling including out of the saddle hacking up hills. So from what I have used them for they have been great and saved a lot of pain and pill taking.

When I had my road bikes I used the Ergotech up and down stem extender. A bit heavy but very practical to use.

Top Bottom