Are the bearings in this 16" wheel hub replaceable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
The front wheel is starting to grind a little bit, it's probably good for a lot of use yet but I might just change the bearings while I'm working on it, if I can.

I've changed them on a 700c road bike, is this basically the same concept, with cups and cones that come off and then clean out the innards, then put new greased bearings in and reassemble?

Attachments

• 20240423_143451100_iOS.jpg
    20240423_143451100_iOS.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 35

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Spokes look not very well done.

See the nuts inside fork. Outer one is lock nut. Undo carefully and take a look at bearings. Likely 3/16” in size and likely 10 per side maybe 9.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
So the bearings are in a cage, which I've not come across before but presume you just replace the whole thing. It measures about 20mm across with 7 bearings in it, would this do or are there likely to be tiny variations in size?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20252252...5338365712&toolid=20006&customid=EB210703871&

It's the 3/16" x 7 bearing I'd buy. Below is a photo of the one I took off.

View attachment 728667

You don't need caged bearings, there are 7 ball bearings in the cage, if you use new loose bearings you will need 9.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
You don't need caged bearings, there are 7 ball bearings in the cage, if you use new loose bearings you will need 9.

Is that right, are the hub parts the same for both caged and uncaged bearings, i.e. where they sit? Might work out a bit cheaper if it's just 9 bearings each side, the cages I saw didn't necessarily get great reviews for longevity either.

Paulus

Is that right, are the hub parts the same for both caged and uncaged bearings, i.e. where they sit? Might work out a bit cheaper if it's just 9 bearings each side, the cages I saw didn't necessarily get great reviews for longevity either.

As long as the balls are the same size as the caged ones they will be fine.
If you would feel happier just replace like for like. Any bike shop can supply the bearings.

Paulus

As they were making a noise, throughly clean the cages and balls and the insides of the races and cones, then regrease, adjust and see what the difference is

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
As they were making a noise, throughly clean the cages and balls and the insides of the races and cones, then regrease, adjust and see what the difference is

If it was my own bike I probably would try this, but it's being passed onto someone else so for the sake of a couple of quid I'll just get some new ones.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Clean the cups and cones, clean the caged bearings reassemble and see what they spin like. Given the spoke conditions I wouldn't spend any money on the hubs unless they don't roll round.

Top Bottom