Are the Chinese missing a trick not producing LARGE saddle bags?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think we have all probably bought something at some point that has been made in China. Just think pound shops. Whatever our viewpoint-jobs/politics etc, (which this thread is not about).

Is China missing an opportunity? I'm referring to the type & size of the large bags made by Carradice.

The Carradice saddle bags currently range from 'about' £50 to £80 and appear to be good quality items.

I can only assume that the Chinese have found more lucrative products to produce now as their economy expands.

Their population has moved from 2 wheels to 4, and probably from the fields to the factories. Katie Melua singing 9 thousand bicycles in Beijing does not have the same resonance in 2018.

I guess my question is- does anyone know if there is a reasonably priced good sized alternative to the market leading Carradice-Chinese or otherwise? Cash waiting^_^ :bicycle:

Venod

Eh up
Very interesting question, they seem to replicate most stuff at a cheap price, so why not large saddle bags, I have never researched this, but are large Saddle Bags peculiar to the UK cyclist and how popular are they with them, I have been cycling all my life, but never owned one.
Perhaps the market for them may not be big enough to make it worth while, or is there a massive demand out there for large saddle bags at a cheap price ?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I personally don't think there's a big enough market for them.
Cotton duck luggage in my humble opinion is a material lusted after mostly by the older generation for its traditional looks, simplicity and toughness. These bags look a bit ridiculous on modern carbon framed strava killer road bikes. The buckles can be undone by even the most thick of people and they generally last forever. Unless one has multiple bikes to equip or simply needs a bigger or smaller bag, a Carradice is a once in a lifetime purchase.
Then there's the compatibility issues. Few saddles come with saddlebag loops and from what I've heard, the bolt on loops available from sjs and the like can cause saddle rail failure due to the stresses a heavy saddlebag places on them.

Crankarm

Guru
I think we have all probably bought something at some point that has been made in China. Just think pound shops. Whatever our viewpoint-jobs/politics etc, (which this thread is not about).

Is China missing an opportunity? I'm referring to the type & size of the large bags made by Carradice.

The Carradice saddle bags currently range from 'about' £50 to £80 and appear to be good quality items.

I can only assume that the Chinese have found more lucrative products to produce now as their economy expands.

Their population has moved from 2 wheels to 4, and probably from the fields to the factories. Katie Melua singing 9 thousand bicycles in Beijing does not have the same resonance in 2018.

I guess my question is- does anyone know if there is a reasonably priced good sized alternative to the market leading Carradice-Chinese or otherwise? Cash waiting^_^ :bicycle:

Yeah their called panniers or bike packing saddle bags.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
A large saddlebag needs a rack or other support to keep it off the wheel. A rack top bag suits most people better, particularly if it has a carry strap.

Top Bottom