Are the ducks in the local rivers and ponds dead?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On a number of occasions I have gone out with my children to feed the ducks (not interested in the seed vs bread debate but for the record we use seed) and have more often then not in various locations limped away with our tail between our legs... no ducks to be seen?

Due to the multiple lockdowns have numbers declined as many have died through lack of food as people stayed indoors or have they gone to somewhere new - Debate?

In other news lots of new cyclists out along with a few club boys and families in Great Ayton today. Also saw a few what I assume are sponsored riders (16/17 years old riding expensive bikes with DI2). I’m loving seeing the variety and itching to get out alas young kids preventing a Saturday afternoon jaunt for a few years.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
There were loads of birds on the Thames in Kingston today (including a dead swan :sad:)

Slick

Guru
Both Ducks and Swans have thrived in the surprisingly small pond across from my work. Far too many people throwing bread at them and lots of stale bread around the place.

Drago

Legendary Member
On a number of occasions I have gone out with my children to feed the ducks...
...in this house the ducks feed me!

Chris S

Legendary Member
Plenty of ducks (etc) on Cannon Hill Park lake, Edgbaston Reservoir and the local canals. I've seen a few herons as well.

OP
OP
bikingdad90
Sounds like they’ve been eaten at Drago Towers or flapped to down-in squawk (I’ll get my coat with that double pun:laugh:)

Last edited:

tony111

Veteran
Maybe they've all gone to a duck do.

irw

Quadricyclist
I went to our local-ish farm shop the other day whilst I was in the area picking up some baby supplies from Ikea. Amongst other things that I wanted to pick up (which Asda had managed to not deliver the day before) were some eggs. Next to the normal eggs where some slightly larger duck eggs. “Ooooh! I say!”, thought I, so I picked half a dozen of each.

Fast forward to today, and I fancied a bacon and egg sandwich for lunch, so popped a couple of the fancy eggs into a pan. Popped them on my sandwich, but turns out they taste slightly of the smell of a pond. 🤢🦆Needless to say, that’s the last time I try something new!

Top Bottom