Are there any organised recumbent rides in/around London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Same goes here only I live nr Swansea only seen one recumbent rider in 4 years

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Would be nice to ride with fellow recumbentists...:rolleyes:
I think the same.

I'm the only 'bent rider in Doncaster, and it's lonely at the top. I'd like to get the chance to say "Good Morning" to other regular cyclists as I pass them, but I can usually only manage to say "Good Mor" before they're out of range ;-)

lazytyke

Guru
Would be nice to ride with fellow recumbentists...:rolleyes:
What part of London are you in ? My mate and I both have ICE trikes, I've a Sprint RX and he has two Sprints and a Vortex (he's keen !) and often ride up to and around London, or out West into the Thames Valley. We aim for a CTC sort of pace so 12.5-15mph, but have been know to go much faster (downhill !)

OP
OP
jorgemartin

jorgemartin

I'm in Camden. I have a HP Velotechnik Grasshopper FX, which is not the fastest bike in the world. 12.5-15 mph is probably not attainable unless going downhill. ^_^ Just had a look at the ICE website. Awesome bikes!

henshaw11

I'm in Walton-On-Thames and I'm an alcoholi...err, sorry, wrong forum ;)

I've ridden - once, dunno what it was I said ! - with a guy in Chertsey with a Fujin - IIRC he commutes into C. London. Also spotted one trike nr there, and another nr Surbiton.
On a ride on sunday morning and some passer-by asked what make it was, his reply was 'I have a challenge'..it was only as I was pulling away I realised he meant the manufacturer, not a cycle challenge.

Lard^H^H^H^H Speedmachine here, BTW...

lazytyke

Guru
Funnily enough if you had been walking through the centre of Walton on Thames on Sunday morning you might have seen two trikes as me and my mate cycled through after a tasty english breakfast in Esher ! Cycled out from Ealing to Esher for breakfast then back via Walton and Hampton Court. We're often in that sort of area, sometime on Trikes and sometime on my mates Greenspeed Recumbent Tandem which really is a sight to behold ! Be good to get a recumbent ride together in/near London. We're happy enough to ride in town or country - down Oxford Street on a Saturday afternoon or past Buck House is often fun ! Most of our rides seem to be based around involve food and tea stops, hence the screename ! Definitely up for arranging a meet with other London recumbists (if that's the word) ?, so we can do a bit of recumbent formation flying !

henshaw11

Funnily enough if you had been walking through the centre of Walton on Thames on Sunday morning you might have seen two trikes as me and my mate cycled through after a tasty english breakfast in Esher ! Cycled out from Ealing to Esher for breakfast then back via Walton and Hampton Court. We're often in that sort of area, sometime on Trikes and sometime on my mates Greenspeed Recumbent Tandem which really is a sight to behold ! Be good to get a recumbent ride together in/near London. We're happy enough to ride in town or country - down Oxford Street on a Saturday afternoon or past Buck House is often fun ! Most of our rides seem to be based around involve food and tea stops, hence the screename ! Definitely up for arranging a meet with other London recumbists (if that's the word) ?, so we can do a bit of recumbent formation flying !

Our paths almost crossed, then ;) - on sunday morning I was out on the 'bent with a bunch (on uprights) from my gym in Thames Ditton between about 8 and 12 - tho' our route was out via Surbiton/Chessington to Reigate, back via Dorking/Leatherhead/Oxshott/Esher. Fortunately went *down* Reigate hill rather than up it :smile:

I've tried out a GS tandem some years ago on a trike weekend over in Oxfordshire - good fun ! - went round a corner a bit fast and almost had the front tyres off as they scrubbed sideways, 'cos I'd forgotten about the rest of the trike hanging back behind me :whistle:

Tea's good...even more so if it involves cake ! I'm probably going to be a bit busy over the next few weekends towards the back end of August (inc some holiday) - but I'll try to remember to return to this thread when I'm back. But if you're in the Esher area over the next weekend or two drop me a PM (just realised my email needed updating - done now I think).

Mind you, Aug. 4th weekend you might have trouble getting anywhere over this direction, the Ride 100/Classic is on, and a lot of the roads will be closed - north end of the route is pretty much the olympic road race course, with the southern end going via Newlands corner, Leith Hill, Abinger Hammer and I think Box Hill.

lazytyke

Guru
Yep keep an eye on the thread, we should definitely try some sort of meet. like you next few weekends hectic. The Greenspeed tandem is a hoot, you can get it on two wheels around almost any corner, although I did over egg it once and the front wheel sort of hung in the air, with the tandem trying to decide which way to go. Fortunately my mate who is on the back weighed about 17st, so i think we were fairly well grounded !

Recently there were 3 of us on two wheel bents at the lcc ride in memory of the French rider recently http://www.london24.com/news/crime/protest_ride_to_be_held_after_holborn_cycling_death_1_2279276

i wouldnt mind joining a bent ride round/out of london for fun; I have been allowed to take my bent out with the Dulwich paragon and De Ver for training runs on a Saturday morning from south london out to Biggin Hill/ North downs way but although i can outrun them on the downhills the groups i have been with [ i only went to see if i could keep up] have kindly waited for me at the top of the hills.
there is a different dynamic to a bent ride that causes these and other problems cycling with df types. so i generally end up cycling on my own! The newly published "lost lanes' has some nice [ challenging] runs about 30 miles or so which of which i have done 2 and enjoyed

http://thebikeshow.net/lost-lanes-shop/

i saw about 4 other bents on the dun run but 2 from bikefix stopped to go back just around the m25 and i didnt meet up with the other 2 i had seen at the end

i could lend someone one of my bents
i would probably ride my kingcycle

i was coming back from isleworth last thursday and met a gent on a lwb peer gynt type copy on the bath rd; we had a chat; then later within the hour saw a trike [ice?] on my way further into london; that was an exceptional day; i probably see a bent about once a month on the rd [ i dont count the ones i see coming into bikefix when i am visting there];

des kay takes a lwb linear with additional decoration to most critical masses on a the last friday of each month under waterloo bridge
i get along to meet up with him but tend not to do the ride; i have seen someone in a velomibile there once

what i have found is that the 'fellowship of the bent' means most people on bents will stop and chat wherever you are;
there are always the races here
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/1events.aspx some at hillingdon and hog hill

bob c

streatham common
kingcycle
optima dingo
i suppose the problem with lending one for a ride is that its generally not so easy to adjust the seat height as on a df

henshaw11

i wouldnt mind joining a bent ride round/out of london for fun; I have been allowed to take my bent out with the Dulwich paragon and De Ver for training runs on a Saturday morning from south london out to Biggin Hill/ North downs way but although i can outrun them on the downhills the groups i have been with [ i only went to see if i could keep up] have kindly waited for me at the top of the hills.
there is a different dynamic to a bent ride that causes these and other problems cycling with df types. so i generally end up cycling on my own! The newly published "lost lanes' has some nice [ challenging] runs about 30 miles or so which of which i have done 2 and enjoyed

Hmm, sounds interesting:
http://www.cyclingworldmag.com/along-lost-lanes/

A guy at my gym is trying to get a cycle club going (with some gym support) - only been out for them for one sunday am ride so far, whilst there's a bit of variation in speed amongst 'em, in practice I pretty much stayed with them on all the climbs (ditto with the fast group on a recent charity ride) Tho' last week's group tended not to keep momentum gained descending, when climbing back up. After a bit too much of this I just started to overtake on the downs, and slowed down near the top of rises to let 'em catch up (much of this was the A217 to Reigate, which is kinda rolling). In fact the return leg was a bit on the slow side..

Curiously the new sign for the club - originally it was just for July - had 'sorry, no hybrids or mtbs'. I can see what he's getting at, in terms of trying to maintain a closer range of speed, but I have a sneaky suspicion I could have kept up on the mtb. My OH thought it discounted me from future rides - I guess a bent is *almost* a hybrid if you squint....a lot ! ;)

Top Bottom