are there any powder coating experts in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I appreciate that thermoset powder coatings are the best, but would polyester, polyurethane or epoxy give the toughest finish

we're talking cast aluminium plates approx 10 metres by 2.7 metres........

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I appreciate that thermoset powder coatings are the best, but would polyester, polyurethane or epoxy give the toughest finish

I know this guy

Abovo Powder Coating
Unit 2
Imperial Works
Talke Pits
Stoke on Trent

01782 776340

I realise he is the thick end of 200 miles from being local to you but a telephone call to pick his brains could answer your question

Acyclo

Veteran

10 m. x 2.7 m.! What kind of a bike are they for?!

But seriously, I can't think of anyone outside of a ship yard who would have toasters big enough for that. But then I'm not an expert. D'oh.

Gareth C

Veteran
Epoxy = tougher, better chemical resistance. Poor UV resistance (will chalk but just degrades the aesthetics).

Polyester depends on the grade - "general industrial grade" can be reasonable in mechanical properties and intermediate on UV resistance. "Architectural grade" is less tough (but still OK for building fabrication processes), but has long term UV resistance.

What's the application for?

Gareth C

Veteran
Have asked a colleague (powder coatings sales), and his response is...

They are decent size sheets & in fact most our architectural coaters would struggle with that size. The accounts we have around London wouldn’t be able to handle that size sheet. Do you need full pre-treatment, exterior application?

He has two possibilities (Norwich and Birmingham) who he'll ask if they could manage the job.

Gareth C

Veteran
I may be wrong but powder coat has to be hung up and hooked up to get an electric charge.
You're right, and just had a phone call with my colleague, and the largest our customers can handle is 9m and this is architectural bars, not sheet. Would be easier if it was possible to halve the sheets into 5m, which would open it up to more coaters.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
There's a powder coating plant in Coventry that can handle the sheets with ease. I'd love to know about the powder coaters in Norwich and Birmingham, though, Gareth. And we're thinking of RAL 9010, so we're not so fussed about fading. Given the location we're more concerned about vandalism (which is why steel, other than Cor-Ten is not a good idea).

We're looking to clad an entire storey of a house in one sheet. Or, rather, doing two sides of six houses in one sheet each - with cutouts for windows that will be faced in one sheet of glass and inserted flush. The perimeter of the windows would fritted to make the frame melt in to the aluminium cladding......

The plan is to superglue an aluminium grid to the back of the 3mm sheet (somebody said something about 5083 grade) and bring them in from Russia, powder coat them in Coventry and crane them in to place in Islington. Having demolished a well loved pub to make way for the houses.

A pint of your best bitter, landlord! And the road to hell.......

Last edited:
Top Bottom