Are there different flat mount brake standards?

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121159

Hi there,

I've got a flat bar road bike (or hybrid, trekking bike, whatever) with very basic flat mount disc brakes. I can see there are some deals going for Shimano MTB flat mount brakes along with the levers as they now have flat mount brakes for SLX, XT, XTR. So do we know if these can be mounted on a road flat mount frame (160mm)? (Just like MTB post mount brakes mount on road post mount frames? I suspect that MTB levers are compatible with road brakes anyway but just to check...)

Thanks!

JhnBssll

Veteran
If the caliper is flat mount it will fit a flat-out frame or fork. The main thing to check is the standard disk size for both - for example hope RX4 calipers are available in standard or +20mm fit. Standard is usually 160mm, so the +20 will need a 180 disk rotor. But there are also frames that are +20 fit, so if you were to combine the two you would need a 200mm disk rotor and things start to get silly. Shimano tend to have adapter plates for this rather than different caliper bodies which makes things a little more straightforward.

Regarding levers I believe they are all interchangeable throughout the range, road and mtb.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

Regarding interchangeability, though, I can see that the 'recommended' hose for, e.g., 105 flat mount brake caliper is SM-BH90-JK-SSR. But the SLX brake lever (which I quite like the look of, plus the easy reach adjust, plus two-finger braking) takes SM-BH90-SBM. So can I use either if I were to pair them up?

I can also see there's BL-RS600 lever which, Shimano says, goes with 105 calipers, but the recommended hose is SM-BH59-JK-SS, so it does suggest that the calipers are capable of taking different hoses. Confusing!!

Top Bottom