Are there different types of Schrader Valves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I had a punture today, I had two spare tubes neither which I could pump up with my new pump, but I could pump up the repaired tube. The Schrader valve looks a bit different on the repaired tube, but not a lot.

Are there different types?

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
If they are the same I.E schrader and not Presta ..then it could be that the valve needle is stuck on both spares ..try pushing them down with a match stick or something similar and try inflating them again.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
DOH! I'm being a prat. They are presta valves not Schrader. Sorry. On further investigation using a different pump, I think valves on both tubes(unused) are buggered.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thanks Norman, I know how they work, I was asking if there are different types of presta valves. The two I have look slightly different to the one that was on the bike, in as much as the threaded part on the one that was on the bike is longer than the ones I had as spares.

Anyway I think the problem now is not that they are different it's they whilst they had never been used, they were old and are buggered. I've tried three different pumps on them and they don't inflate.

Thanks for your help chaps.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
The answer is no ......and yes!. There is ony one kind of Presta valve -but the valve stem can differ and be long or short and threaded or un threaded. None of these differences should affect how the tyre inflates. Presta valves are prone to being damaged when the stem that holds the valve lock nut becomes bent which makes it almost impossible to inflate the tyre. The stem can often be strsightened again either by hand or using a small pair of pliers.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
That might be the answer. The pump hose has to be screwed on the the thread, it's possible that the hose is not threading on correctly.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Presta is presta, but the length can vary to accommodate different rim depths. As the new one is shorter, possibly too short for your rim, it is possible that he pump can not lock on.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I should explain that pump in question, which I needed yesterday when I had a punture is a mini LEZYNE pump and has a hose that needs to be screwed onto the valve in order for it to work. The pump worked fine on the punctured tube, but would not work on either of the two spare tubes I had with me.

Once I got home, after I posted the original question I experimented with the two spare tubes with my track pump and another pump neither of which had to screwed onto the valves. However the tubes would still not inflate. Which leads me to think that although the valves look slightly different than the original, they were buggered anyway. The tubes, even though unused, are at least eight years old.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just got back from the lbs in the snow, new tubes, new punture repair kit and they trued up the wheels whilst I waited.

02GF74

Über Member
the answer is mostly no but there are differences. firstly some valve stems are threaded for the retaining nut whereas others are smooth - the latter are harder to inflate since as you push the pump up, the valve wants to disappear into the tyre.

then they can differ by length - longer ones for deep section rinms.

the final variant is that some presta valves have a replaceable core i.e. the innards can be removed - no real advatnage other that if you were going to fill the tube with sealant.

but as far as how they work, there is no difference so a presta punpo should work with any presta valve.

Top Bottom