Are these any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I bought this today, its a Hugh Porter Veloce Tentura. Frame No 4426. Can anybody tell me anything about these bikes. I bought it for day rides around the North York Moors but I may use it as a restoration project during the winter months if the bike is worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_2060-001.JPG
    IMG_2060-001.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 336

raindog

er.....
Restore it? It already looks immaculate. Looks like you got a good buy there.
Hugh Porter was a very successful track cyclist, and must have marketed some "badged" bikes made by someone else, although this is the first time I've heard of this.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Restore it? It already looks immaculate. Looks like you got a good buy there.
Hugh Porter was a very successful track cyclist, and must have marketed some "badged" bikes made by someone else, although this is the first time I've heard of this.

I can only echo Raindog's comments; . . . . . . . although he's possibly understated :thumbsup: Hugh Porter's ability. Hugh Porter was a World Champion and was/is very highly regarded on the continent.

The bike must have been made by someone else; I've never seen or heard of one before, so I think it would not be too common.

If it were my bike, I'd just ride it; in my opinion, it doesn't 'need' any restoration at all. (I certainly wouldn't have the frame re-finished).

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

From what I have learned from the net so far the frame may have been manufactured by Woodrup Cycles.
As for the restoration, It seems to have been messed about with at some time as the paintwork is a little rough with a little blistering here and there. I have googled photos of similar bikes and it seems to be pretty much origional.
I have had it out a couple of times and it rides beautifully.

sidevalve

Über Member
Woodrups were the dogs b------s in my yoof [lived neat their shop and used to drool on the window]. I always wanted one of their frames. Keep it as is and be proud of it.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Where were Woodrup's then? Coventry?
Leeds I think and still in business.

Top Bottom