Are these tyres okay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks a good tyre for a beater bike on the rear but the rubber is definitely perishing. Whatever I'd only use it on the rear wheel just because of the huge safety issues if it blows on the front which can be much worse plus also on the rear you will wear it out faster and have a better chance of getting your monies worth out of it. Saying that I remember going to Bath a few years ago and saw a bike locked to a bike rack that probably was exposed to the sun most of the day as the owner was probably working in one of the nearby shops and the cracking on the tyres was horrendous and still being ridden. I guess it was exposed to UV light something like 9 hours a day or more. It was a casual cheap bike though with very thick looking tyres probably something like 1.8" width on 26" wheels. Semi-slick design. It would probably take a while for the cracks to worth through the whole tyre. I guess with road bike tyres you have to be much, much more conservative. I've also seen some very old collectable bikes ridden with very perished tyres I guess because replacements are so hard to find or expensive.

You'd think there might be a cheap chemical solution that might restore rubber condition. It wouldn't remove existing cracks but slow down or even stop existing cracks from getting worse. A quick google shows there are a few chemicals for rejuvenating rubber like glycerine.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I can't find any Conti GP 5000 TL i

How okay are these going to be to use on the new bike?

It will be a self fulfilling f@ck-up, as if you are going to try to use them tubeless, the sealant will just piss thru the cracks.

maybe run them tubed until your preferred choice of tyre comes into stock.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The strength of a tyre is in the casing underneath the rubber, so it won't suddenly fail on you.
That the rubber is starting to perish will mean that the grip won't be as good, and there's the chance of one of the cracks picking up a fragment of glass that might not otherwise have stuck.

You can let them go much further than that
dead_tyre2.jpg

(commute bike)

Top Bottom