Are these tyres okay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nlmkiii

Almost carrying on from a recent post... I can't find any Conti GP 5000 TL in 28 to go with New Bike Day

So an alternative is I take the tyres off the bike I've been using the last few years. The tyres on that bike only have about 2k km on them due to a combination of fitness degradation, and Zwift lately! But even though they don't have many miles, they've been on the wheels for about 18 months and there are small cracks around the rubber.

What would you guys do? How okay are these going to be to use on the new bike? (Other option seems to be switching to a different tyre type, which makes me feel sad :sad: )

One of these is still on the front wheel being used on the turbo. The second one is actually on a broken wheel! Hence it is flat, I haven't pumped it up in months!

273491321_623457638718869_8110668996678551224_n.jpg
273053708_678439606673358_1679153811626451178_n.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

I wouldn't want to ride those, especially on the front.

yello

My GP4000s are in a worse state than that (cracks wise) but, rightly or wrongly, I'm still riding them. Cracks per se don't worry me, it's the overall state of the tyre - and, tbh, those do look as though they're getting tired (pun intended) 2k km doesn't sound a lot to me but, I dunno, are turbo miles more wearing than road miles? Not being a regular turbo user, I have no experience.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I reckon they are fine. I would use them.
(edit: I would probably put the more worn out one on the back wheel. I think the back failing is preferable to the front).

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
If you aren’t seeing regular punctures keep riding them. Don’t look a disaster even if not first flush of youth.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm with Ming and @overmind and @yello : use them till you get a puncture. I'd expect 5000km on the front, but you've had them on for longer than mine (x3). Suggest use on rear, sequentially, if you have any residual concern.

buzz22

Über Member
I'm fairly conservative with tyres, I figure if I have to ask whether they're ok to use then maybe I am best not to ride on them.
Having said that I'm on the more solid side so my tyres are working harder than average...

Top Bottom