Are used cars more expensive than they used to be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Battery life being a big consideration for lower end, older (and therefore affordable) EVs.
I can buy a relatively low mileage Renault Zoe for instance for around £6k. The equivalent ICE will be more expensive. But, the key is range and more importantly (for me) range left available once its a dew years old. Often its only 60 miles stated, which might mean 50 ? I considered one for work commuting but id HAVE to charge every day.
Not a big deal in itself I can charge at work. Bilut what in 2, 3, 4 years ? Will I end up with a worthless lump of metal unless I spend thousands on a new battery ?

It may well balance out in the end.. may ?, that's the unknown and that no doubt drives the price down

Yeah, pretty much where I am, although I've been holding on to my current car for a number of years now waiting to be convinced.

Drago

Legendary Member
I know there's an entire huge thread about it, but I'm not entirely convinced we are not still at the beta max stage.
There are late 90's Toyota Prii still on their original traction batteries. Smaller, but otherwise exactly the same tech.

The life of the average traction battery is proving to be easily as durable and many times less likely to prematurely fail durable than ICE engines, yet still folk such as yourself express doubt. Odd to say the least. Indeed, it's surprising that so many intelligent and open minded CCers appear to be taking heed of the nonsense Daily Mail and social media spread.

What exactly are you basing this conviction upon?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
But, the key is range and more importantly (for me) range left available once its a dew years old. Often its only 60 miles stated, which might mean 50 ?

Thats the mk1 Leaf, almost unique among electric cars for having no active battery thermal management and no on board charging management. Accordingly, they can be found with barely 50 miles left in them.

No such issue with the Zoe - or pretty much any other electric car - as their useable battery capacity remains quite robust with age. Google "headroom " and you'll see that even if a battery should degrade the capacity available to the user remains consistent.

The things that make the Zoe a bad used buy are exactly the sort of issues that make petrol powered versions models to avoid and have nothing to do with the battery.

Slick

Guru
There are late 90's Toyota Prii still on their original traction batteries. Smaller, but otherwise exactly the same tech.

The life of the average traction battery is proving to be easily as durable and many times less likely to prematurely fail durable than ICE engines, yet still folk such as yourself express doubt. Odd to say the least. Indeed, it's surprising that so many intelligent and open minded CCers appear to be taking heed of the nonsense Daily Mail and social media spread.

Don't panic, I'm just a canny Scot who won't invest in anything new, until I'm certain it's tech that's here to stay and a version that has staying power and not surpassed in a matter of months. And with the best will in the world, that's not going to be achieved here, as I take zero heed of social media nonsense and why even quote the Daily Mail?

I'm still running my old car, but I'll take the leap when I'm ready. :okay:

screenman

Legendary Member

Well written.

Jameshow

Veteran
Thats the mk1 Leaf, almost unique among electric cars for having no active battery thermal management and no on board charging management. Accordingly, they can be found with barely 50 miles left in them.

No such issue with the Zoe - or pretty much any other electric car - as their useable battery capacity remains quite robust with age. Google "headroom " and you'll see that even if a battery should degrade the capacity available to the user remains consistent.

The things that make the Zoe a bad used buy are exactly the sort of issues that make petrol powered versions models to avoid and have nothing to do with the battery.

Renault!🤣

Got a 2015 Renault scenic 1.5 DCI bought at 3 year old in 2019 for £7.5k with 20k on the clock and for our new family car plumped for a 2020 Citroen C5 1.5 Diesel with 20k on the clock in 2024 and it was nearly £14k. Both ex motability cars. Similar size and specs etc.

Nearly a decade between purchases and a 100% price increase, so roughly 10% inflation year on year. Part of that will be down to Brexit effect, unstable economy and the fact that many people are using their cars less so demand has dropped for a used car.

icowden

Veteran
Diesels have also held their value a great deal, which started around the time I was looking for one just after covid.
Just be aware that you can't drive them in ULEZ type zones, so that tends to eliminate them from city centres.

screenman

Legendary Member
Got a 2015 Renault scenic 1.5 DCI bought at 3 year old in 2019 for £7.5k with 20k on the clock and for our new family car plumped for a 2020 Citroen C5 1.5 Diesel with 20k on the clock in 2024 and it was nearly £14k. Both ex motability cars. Similar size and specs etc.

Nearly a decade between purchases and a 100% price increase, so roughly 10% inflation year on year. Part of that will be down to Brexit effect, unstable economy and the fact that many people are using their cars less so demand has dropped for a used car.

Used car sales have increased by a substantial amount.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Just be aware that you can't drive them in ULEZ type zones, so that tends to eliminate them from city centres.

Not true - many modern diesels are ULEZ compliant. My 2015 Mazda6 for example can be driven in the London ULEZ zone without charge (not that I'd want to).

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran

Who drives into ULEZ zones anyway. Surely you'd take public transport into cities? Unless you live in cities within the ULEZ you're probably going to work the usually good public transport routes from out of ULEZ. Which is even better for cities.

icowden

Veteran
Who drives into ULEZ zones anyway. Surely you'd take public transport into cities? Unless you live in cities within the ULEZ you're probably going to work the usually good public transport routes from out of ULEZ. Which is even better for cities.

You clearly haven't visited the denizens of North Surrey NextDoor / Hampton / Fulwell/ Molesey / Sunbury etc.

Top Bottom