Are we at risk of Legionnaires' Disease?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ha - TV has just answered my question - its the longer you are exposed to it the more likely you are to catch it.

It's a sorry turn of events, when we learn that the very water which sustains our existence, and without which there would be no life on Earth, harbours a deadly menace. But that's the way it is - and there's nothing new in fearing water-borne disease - a few generations ago it would have been typhoid or cholera - now it's Legionnaires.

We must remember that 99% of all the screen-wash reservoirs in cars, even those without antibacterial additive (are screen-wash additives, as a rule, antibacterial?), will nevertheless be utterly harmless. But it is still annoying to be sprayed from an overtaking car. Do some motorists do it 'for a laugh'? Should this behaviour be regarded the same as splashing a cyclist or pedestrian by driving through a puddle (for which, now, a motorist can be nailed for 'without due care')?

gbb

Legendary Member
Another case of H&S coming up with a theory thats in the most extreme circumstances..correct, but in reality, highly unlikely.

You can drink a glass of Legionaire bacteria infected water, it wont harm you.
Its when its in a mist form its dangerous, it gets into the lungs and then does the damage. Cooling towers etc are particually dangerous.

The therory probably holds water (scuse the pun :wacko:)...but if its so dangerous, where are all the casualties from windscreen washers over all these years.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Washer fluid and even dishwash liquid contain bactericides and in any case most people fill from the tap, which is chlorinated water.

You get legionnaire's disease from open air conditioning systems, which are ill-maintained and contain dirty stagnant water held at the right temperature for a long period of time.

Stop worrying about it.

battered

Guru
Screenwash contains isopropyl alchol and or ethanol. along with a splash of detergent etc. It's bactericidal. Your chances of getting Legionnaires disease via this route is bugger all. You ride on the public road observing the antics of the numpties who are given driving licences and who walk amongst us, and you are bothered about Legionnaires? It makes about as much sense as my Mum worrying about AIDS.

This is borne out by statistics, isn't it 5 deaths every year from Legionnaires across the UK? We probably have 5 dead cyclists every year in Leeds alone.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I get really annoyed when driving or cycling along and the twit in front cleans the windows and the jet of washer misses the window, goes over the roof onto me. Ten seconds with a pin will adjust the jets correctly.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It was merely a question rather than an emergency shut down - just my mind hearing the story and then pondering:biggrin: - I knew that the bright people on here would come up with the answer.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I was wondering about it this morning, but from the point of view of water in drinking bottles. I don't always empty mine after a ride. But if it's only the mist you have to worry about, I'll stop worrying.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'm not in any danger because Mercedes seem incapable of designing a washer bottle that doesn't p1ss its contents on to the road two weeks after being fitted (on to my third now :wacko:)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Uncle Mort said:
Yeah.Horses do that as well - progress eh?
In memory of Gr**do I now propose we divert this thread on to the topic of horses' k**bs. Fnaar, you're on!

Top Bottom