Are you allowed to jump red lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I think the OP demonstrates the fact a lot of people who normally drive are taking to biking for a few/some/most/all journeys. They assume as a cyclist they can RLJ as they read in the media that other 'cyclists' do it. More likely, they are adopting the rat-like persona of typical car drivers, and their got-to-get-ahead and sod everyone attitude.

Cycling is (IMO) all about chilling and getting away from the rat-race, not using it as a tool to get one step ahead of cars?

I don't know if that makes sense, but it's how it is for me.

dondare said:
ASLs are poorly designed, poorly understood and usually incorrectly used.
IMAO they're good for starting arguments and buqqer all else.

When an ASL is in position then the first line is the "stop line" for the lights, and it is illegal to cross this line when the lights are red (cyclists should enter through the break in the line)

Where it becomes difficult is if you stop in the box and the lights change. AS a majority of motorists don't understand the concept of junctions and queue across them rather than the proper way of not entering until the exit is clear, ASLs will always be blocked int his way

Simply put - drivers in ASLs cannot assess junctions properly and do not know how to drive, or that such petty rules do not apply to them!

I'e been considering ASL's around town recently and I've noticed a few with no break in the line, thus making them illegal to enter at all.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
automatic_jon said:
I'e been considering ASL's around town recently and I've noticed a few with no break in the line, thus making them illegal to enter at all.

Councils do make mistakes/fiddle things, councils make mistakes with other road markings too sometimes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to have a colleague called Norma who refused to allow her husband to drive on motorways, saying they were too dangerous. Nothing we could say would convince her that they are actually the safest roads for cars. So when they drove down to see her sister in Cornwall they used to go on the old A roads all the way.

Everybody called her "Norma F*ckwit". People like her are allowed to ride bikes without any training at all.

dondare

Über Member
Globalti said:
I used to have a colleague called Norma who refused to allow her husband to drive on motorways, saying they were too dangerous. Nothing we could say would convince her that they are actually the safest roads for cars. So when they drove down to see her sister in Cornwall they used to go on the old A roads all the way.

Everybody called her "Norma F*ckwit". People like her are allowed to ride bikes without any training at all.

Some people think that it is safer to drive on A roads than motorways. They are wrong.

Some people think that it is safer to cycle on the footpath than the carriageway. They are also wrong.

rusky

CC Addict
I stopped in an ASL a while ago, a motorbike filtered up the outside & joined me. TBH, I don't have a problem, it's more 2 wheels Vs 4 wheels than bikes Vs cars.

Anyway, we were both waiting for the lights to change when a POB cycled along the pavement behind us, dropped into the road at the ASL, screamed these are for bikes you f*****g idiot & continued through the red light!

I looked at the guy on the m/c & we just laughed!

dondare

Über Member
rusky said:
I stopped in an ASL a while ago, a motorbike filtered up the outside & joined me. TBH, I don't have a problem, it's more 2 wheels Vs 4 wheels than bikes Vs cars.

Anyway, we were both waiting for the lights to change when a POB cycled along the pavement behind us, dropped into the road at the ASL, screamed these are for bikes you f*****g idiot & continued through the red light!

I looked at the guy on the m/c & we just laughed!

These POBs cause so much trouble.

marinyork said:
Councils do make mistakes/fiddle things, councils make mistakes with other road markings too sometimes.

Some of the cycling infrastructure in Portsmouth if well meaning but poorly implemented. Cycle lanes with zig-ziged grooves in them near a pedestrian crossing making the lane too bumpy to use and lanes too narrow to use safely, the usual. xx(

What interested me here was that the ASL was in a good place, a junction which really benefited from it but if one was following the letter of the law (reflectors of clipless pedals anyone?) actually illegal to use. Although I did use it and felt slightly dirty, like a common or garden RLJer. :thumbsup::blush::biggrin:

dondare said:
Some people think that it is safer to drive on A roads than motorways. They are wrong.

Some people think that it is safer to cycle on the footpath than the carriageway. They are also wrong.

Depends on "safe" .... you are more likely to die in a motorway accident than on any other road.

Also if you remove the figures for the traffic that isn't allowed on a motorway, the figures are even less attractive. Finally make an allowance for the fact there are no junctions, crossroads blind corners, dips and the likes and the two road types become comparable!

So it could be "Actually I was right Norma"!

dondare

Über Member
Cunobelin said:
Depends on "safe" .... you are more likely to die in a motorway accident than on any other road.

Also if you remove the figures for the traffic that isn't allowed on a motorway, the figures are even less attractive. Finally make an allowance for the fact there are no and the two road types become comparable!

So it could be "Actually I was right Norma"!

It's because there are no junctions, crossroads, blind corners, dips and so on that motorways are safer. The hazards are absent by design. So a journey made on motorways is safer than an equivalent journey made on the pre-car Roman roads, turnpikes, coach roads, country lanes &c. that the rest of Britain's carriageways consist of.

Top Bottom