Are you an Inny or an Outy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
What is that causes the ability to move your foot left/right a certain amount before it will unclip? Is that what they call float? Either way, there's too much of it and I plan on changing and seeing it causes discomfort in anyway...
Is this happening whilst you are pedaling, or, as another poster suggested, when you are unclipping?

400bhp

Guru
Sorry OT but did know the bridge over the motorway is closed ex for peds and cyclists?

Oohhh tell me about it. I had a "discussion" with a Vulva driver about it on Friday. He told me I couldn't go that way (after I stopped in the middle of the road because he was constantly beeping me after I stuck my arm out to turn right).

An old lady on a shopping bike had just appeared from over the bridge too. Gawd, wish I'd have said to him "so do you think she did a mary poppins over the bridge do you":laugh:

MikeG

Guru
My foot is as close to the crank as I can get it, but I don't touch it/ them. I presume this means your toes aren't pointing straight forward. Clipping the crank on every revolution must be like riding with the brake permanently on.

400bhp

Guru
My foot is as close to the crank as I can get it, but I don't touch it/ them. I presume this means your toes aren't pointing straight forward. Clipping the crank on every revolution must be like riding with the brake permanently on.

well yes, but it sounds like its close but rubs on attaching/release/

OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
I'll video my foot tomorrow if I remember. Just to show what happens.

I should probably also add that it is only the Arm is scrapes... And only when I'm riding. I can only unclip my flicking out, and my foot doesn't touch it when clicking in.

The only part that touches is my inner rear heel.. I think I just have a spazzy foot to be honest.

Is the chain 50% of the total weight? How much would that chain cost?

Depends on how slack the chain is

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have the same problem on my winter Ribble - but only on that bike of 4. (It has a Tiagra chainset). It is caused by my overshoe. I recently also noticed a shiny bare spot on the chainstay, and decided to try moving the pedal outwards by using a washer. I bought a single 'pedal washer' at great expense. It is actually a steel M14x20x1mm washer, so yesterday ordered a pack of 10, M14x20 alloy washers on line (for the same price!) so that I can increase the spacing if necessary. No more than a couple of mm, and my pedals are Look Keos which have enough thread to accomodate this. If you need more spacing you can buy pedal axle extenders.
specialized-bg-pedal-axle-extenders.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
So... In this video is my foot.
Is this what is called Float, and which can be reduced with different cleats?

View: http://youtu.be/Gyul5BRbhZM

On clipping in and out, my foot doesn't touch the Arm. It's just from when my foot goes into that position when riding.

Top Bottom