Are you of a nautical bent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Foghat said:
The shipping forecast book sounds right up my estuary, so thanks for alerting us on that. I wonder if it'll tell me why the sequences of area forecasts and of reports from coastal stations start at completely different points on the British Isles 'clock'?

Now, I don't think it does - from what I remember (I hear the shipping forecasts quite often, but not every night), the area forecasts always start in the same place, but the inshore waters areas vary (some times it's Cape Wrath to Duncansby Head, including Orkney - possible my favourite phrase of all time) and sometimes it's to Dunnet's Head instead..., and the coastal stations... I hadn't noticed them being all that different, I thought all three parts started more or less at the top right... I'll have to listen out. I often try to visualise all the places in my head, on a map...

My mum got me a calendar for Christmas, with views of various bits of coastline from the various areas, but the best bit is at the back, it has a list of what all the terms mean - like veering, backing, imminent, soon, etc. I'll be keeping that for reference.

And if you're safely tucked up in bed, there's something wonderfully romantic about hearing "Violent Storm Eleven"...

Canrider

Guru
Violent Storm Eleven
Oh thanks, thanks a bunch, we finally get two sunny days in a row up here and you have to call the storm down on us again...
Fair Isle Faeroes Southeast Iceland:
Northwesterly 6 to gale 8 backing southeasterly gale 8 or severe gale 9, perhaps storm 10 later, then veering westerly. Rough or very rough, becoming high in Faeroes and Southeast Iceland. Wintry showers or rain. Moderate or good becoming poor.
:biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Canrider said:
Oh thanks, thanks a bunch, we finally get two sunny days in a row up here and you have to call the storm down on us again...

:tongue:

Like I said I'm tucked up in bed....

Well, not right now. Now, I'm at work. I can tell it's windy, from the shadow of the wind turbine whizzing round on the wall behind me...

snorri said:
Are the crew really far superior, or is that just the name of the ship:?:

Both! ;)

all the company boats are called Far S....... eg. Far Service, Far Supporter, Far Supplier (not too imaginative for a supply boat) and the one I'm on at present Far Strider. All have red hulls with a white 'F' on the side, well the starboard side anyway. It's a miiroe image on the port side

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Arch said:
Now, I don't think it does - from what I remember (I hear the shipping forecasts quite often, but not every night), the area forecasts always start in the same place, but the inshore waters areas vary (some times it's Cape Wrath to Duncansby Head, including Orkney - possible my favourite phrase of all time) and sometimes it's to Dunnet's Head instead..., and the coastal stations... I hadn't noticed them being all that different, I thought all three parts started more or less at the top right... I'll have to listen out. I often try to visualise all the places in my head, on a map...

Actually, I think the two sequences start in adjacent areas, so not quite 'completely different'. The area forecasts start in Viking, which is in the middle of the North Sea between the Shetlands and Norway, while the coastal reports start at Cape Wrath, the north-west tip of mainland Britain, which is in the south-west corner of Fair Isle (the area to the west of Viking). Not especially important, I'm just curious as to the reason for starting in different areas.

As to your favourite phrase, well I'm pleased to be able to illustrate it for you, with photos from my 2007 jaunt around Scotland :biggrin::

Cape Wrath, with foghorn

tn_223.jpg

tn_210.jpg

Dunnet Head, with Orkney in distance beyond lighthouse

tn_303.jpg

tn_302.jpg

Duncansby Head, including the famous sea stacks

tn_328.jpg

tn_325.jpg

snorri

Legendary Member
Piemaster said:
All have red hulls with a white 'F' on the side, well the starboard side anyway.
I see the Farstad ships here now and again, but usually the ankerkrankers rather than the supply vessels.:biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
ChrisKH said:
Whoosh - hear the whistle of that one over my head. You are going to have to explain that one.
I followed the barge links, and clicking thru the pics were Shirley and Marilyn on the barge, loking lovely in a 1970s way... just tried again, and there's all this wierd stuff about Rolf Harris and Thunderbirds, so I'm going to move on... :smile:

ChrisKH

Guru
Fnaar said:
I followed the barge links, and clicking thru the pics were Shirley and Marilyn on the barge, loking lovely in a 1970s way... just tried again, and there's all this wierd stuff about Rolf Harris and Thunderbirds, so I'm going to move on... :smile:

As one of the photos has my name plastered all over the barge in white emulsion, perhaps it would be better if we did. :smile: :biggrin:

Top Bottom