Are you orthorexic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
S'funny that an obsession with healthy eating leads people to become unhealthy...
Moderation in all things, except in moderation itself, is my motto

It was my birthday yesterday, so in accordance with custom, I laid on dognuts, bikkies, cakes, crisps, etc. for everyone in the office. I helped myself to some of the goodies.

Ergo .... no.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think I'm Orthorexic. I'm not keen on raw Celery, or Oysters.

I'm also Authourexic, in that I'm very fussy about what books I read.

FFS.

It does seem to be a human condition to take everything to extreme. Very strange world we have with countries full of obese people while not far away is starvation on a massive scale.

I always think it a bit odd that when you go in a health food shop they never seem to have fresh fruit (everything seems to be dried), nor do they seem to carry meat products. Meat is a choice and not an unhealthy food. How have the veggies cornerd the health food market?
They seem to have no issue with selling crud for bodybuilders though!

Hope you had a happy birthday Pete!
It was fine. I even went out last night for drinks with my colleagues last night, though it was pure coincidence that it was my B/day: we went because one of our guys is leaving. In recent years I've been very negative and antipathetic about my B/day, refusing to acknowledge it even if someone mentions it. But I think I've 'turned the corner' on that phase of my mental health, at any rate.

I always think it a bit odd that when you go in a health food shop they never seem to have fresh fruit (everything seems to be dried), nor do they seem to carry meat products. Meat is a choice and not an unhealthy food. How have the veggies cornerd the health food market?
They seem to have no issue with selling crud for bodybuilders though!
I don't know what sort of 'health' food shop you mean (many years since I've been in one); the organic box company we use, who make a point of supplying 'healthy' as opposed to 'health' food to their customers, have plenty of meat options amongst their range! We don't take those because we're non-meat eaters, but that's just our choice: many of their customers indulge, I'm sure. The meat's quite pricey though, compared to the supermarket! The best things don't come free!

... sufferers tend to be aged over 30, middle-class and well-educated.

Well, there's a surprise.

Refusing to touch sugar, salt, caffeine, alcohol, wheat, gluten, yeast, soya, corn and dairy foods is just the start of their diet restrictions.

Hmmm. Not me, then. I love drinking alcohol, I drink at least 2 litres of coffee every night at work, I have salt on almost everything and I have no idea what gluten actually is. And what could possibly be wrong with dairy products? :wacko:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
"Refusing to touch sugar, salt, caffeine, alcohol, wheat, gluten, yeast, soya, corn and dairy foods is just the start of their diet restrictions."

Little point in them carrying on.... I hear Switzerland is nice this time of year.

I don't know what sort of 'health' food shop you mean (many years since I've been in one); the organic box company we use, who make a point of supplying 'healthy' as opposed to 'health' food to their customers, have plenty of meat options amongst their range! We don't take those because we're non-meat eaters, but that's just our choice: many of their customers indulge, I'm sure. The meat's quite pricey though, compared to the supermarket! The best things don't come free!

Flying the health food banner we have Holland and Barrett, an indi shop and one other chain I cannot remember the name of. All claim to sell "health foods".
Inside none have fresh food, everything seems dried and lifeless. The shops pander to all sorts of dietary fads and needs.

While I accept there are medical conditions that mean you cannot eat x y or z there seems to be this strong link between healthy eating and various fads and dietary needs. The place looks more like a chemist than a food shop.

Quite the opposite of a farm shop selling healthy fruit veg and meat which I agree is a great option. I find you can just be selective in a normal supermarket and come out with healthy food. I am amazed at the junk people live on and the fresh fruit and veg aisle is off their radar.

yello

In French, you have the useful distinction of 'gourmet' and 'gourmand'. The former being a connoisseur of food and drink... the latter being someone that simply likes to eat and drink. I'm definitely the latter.

edit: one day, I'll learn to spell.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
In French, you have the useful distinction of 'gormet' and 'gormand'. The former being a connoisseur of food and drink... the latter being some that just likes to eat and drink. I'm definitely the latter.

... that's the distinction between restaurant critics and normal people. A gormet is a snob but a very, very clever one, capable of guile, deceit and persuasion- managing to get a paper to pay them to eat poncy, over-priced food every day!

Flying the health food banner we have Holland and Barrett, an indi shop and one other chain I cannot remember the name of. All claim to sell "health foods".
Inside none have fresh food, everything seems dried and lifeless. The shops pander to all sorts of dietary fads and needs.
Indeed. We do have a H&B round here, I think: I suppose I might go in if I had a desperate need for - say - shelled walnuts, and everywhere else was sold out. The H&B regulars might sneer at the use we put the walnuts to, though!

Quite the opposite of a farm shop selling healthy fruit veg and meat which I agree is a great option. I find you can just be selective in a normal supermarket and come out with healthy food. I am amazed at the junk people live on and the fresh fruit and veg aisle is off their radar.
Precisely. Some may wish to boycott the likes of Tesco and Asda on political, moral or socio-economic grounds. I don't have a problem with that if they are sincere. But we don't. We go up and down the fruit and veg. aisles of Tescos picking up what we want. And the French supermarkets, where they take things seriously! Honestly, it can be quite a pleasure to browse down aisle after aisle of fruit'n'veg in the big-chain stores like Carrefour or Leclerc ... and of course the cheeses - a whole aisle devoted to those as often as not - and the charcuterie (if that's your taste - not our thing and not super-healthy I grant you, but you'll be tempted!). We often hang out by the fish-counter, and really it's like being on the set of Jaws sometimes! Mind you the live crabs on offer can be a bit off-putting... :eek:

gannet

the list of foods I'm allergic to is depressing. I came out of the the allergy test thinking 'what the **** CAN I eat?'... Even the doctor said the same when I showed him the results!

I can tell when I have eaten something which has anything I'm allergic to in it.

I agree on the 'health' food shops though - dried ain't always the best option.

There is a shop in Chiswick called 'As nature intended' which is actually pretty good :biggrin:

free-from aisle's in the supermarkets can be a help - though as I can't eat soya or rye which is substituted regularly for wheat doesn't always help!

I am always shocked at the amount of cr*p in people shopping trolley's at the supermarket - marketing gone mad!

tyred

Legendary Member
Must confess my diet leaves a lot to be desired but I do try to improve. I just can't eat the leafy green vegetables we're supposed to eat. I find them unbearably bitter.

Top Bottom