Are you political?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I would say most people are, or at least hold views of things that are shaped by politics.

I personally hate the current and seemingly endless status quo of Tory govt messing up, getting voted out, Labour get it, mess it up, get voted out and Tories are back with the miracle cure, then mess up and get voted out, then Labour get voted back in (seems to me like the electorate are A; stupid, and B; have the memory of a goldfish)

Why can't we move beyond this?

An analogy would be like going to a restaurant, ordering fish, being ill afterwards, and then going back to the retaurant and ordering chicken, getting ill again, then ordering fish again.....can't people see pork, beef, pizza or moussaka on the menu?

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I thought we had moved beyond it, we now have a coalition messing up.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I would say most people are, or at least hold views of things that are shaped by politics.

I personally hate the current and seemingly endless status quo of Tory govt messing up, getting voted out, Labour get it, mess it up, get voted out and Tories are back with the miracle cure, then mess up and get voted out, then Labour get voted back in (seems to me like the electorate are A; stupid, and B; have the memory of a goldfish)

Why can't we move beyond this?

An analogy would be like going to a restaurant, ordering fish, being ill afterwards, and then going back to the retaurant and ordering chicken, getting ill again, then ordering fish again.....can't people see pork, beef, pizza or moussaka on the menu?
no room for veggies on your political map of the world? Is it too much to ask for a cheese souffle? Or a Quorn baguette?

02GF74

Über Member
there should be horse on the menu.

if you listen to what the leaders of the main parties say, all they do is blame the other party rather than trying to solve the problem.

you are ofcourse assuming the problems (health, education, employment and economy to name a couple) in the UK are solveable, perhaps they are not? Name me one country that has solved all of those and all the people are happy?

yello

My take is that we are all political... but not necessarily followers of the political parties. In fact, I'd say it's darn near impossible not to be political. Identifying yourself as a cyclist and/or having opinions on cyclists as a group distinct from, say, motorists suggests to me you have political views.

But, as with religion, I guess it depends on how you want to define political.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Arthur C Clarke had it right.

Selection into politics should be by random selection from the general public. Anyone with any interest in politics, or wanting the job, would be disqualified from the selection process. People selected for the job would get time off from their term of office for good behaviour and going the job well.
:whistle:

Arch

Married to Night Train
there should be horse on the menu.

if you listen to what the leaders of the main parties say, all they do is blame the other party rather than trying to solve the problem.

you are ofcourse assuming the problems (health, education, employment and economy to name a couple) in the UK are solveable, perhaps they are not? Name me one country that has solved all of those and all the people are happy?

The Scandinavian countries seem to do quite well, although doubtless not perfect. I think the country with the highest happiness rating in the world is Bhutan, which was until recently at least, an Absolute Monarchy. I don't suppose they had perfect education, healthcare etc, but the people were generally happy with their lives. Perhaps that's the problem - perfect lives in terms of education, healthcare etc aren't necessarily happy ones. Seems counter-intuitive but then most people seemed to think for a long time that more money = happiness, and that's gradually turning round as people realise that if more money = more stress, then happiness is not the result.

ASC1951

Guru
I was, and am now despairing of all politicians. They are in it for the money and nothing else .....
Unfortunately that isn't true. Very few of them are in it for the money; and they are easily spotted. Most of them are in it because they are utterly convinced that they know what is best for everyone else - such people are much more dangerous.

Was and always will try to be a political activist.
MPs are on the whole self centred and shallow.
Grass roots and local issues are the areas where you can make a difference. The Media steered by the Banks and Corporations are not bothered enough to try and control these.
Get involved in something you are concerned about that affects your community or lifestyle. Whatever your political leaning is, because the passion involved citizens bring to debates is far more pertinent than any of party whip orientated spin that emanates from Whitehall. Give it a go, must warn you it is addictive.:smile:

Top Bottom